Griego .25 Deco vs. Dave Taylor 0

hawkbtrb

Griego .25 Deco vs. Dave Taylor 0

Post by hawkbtrb »

New to the board and have a question about similar mouthpieces.

Was using Laskey 93D and Laskey 95D, but found 93D a little small and 95D a little big. Stumbled upon a Griego .25 Deco gold plated (sized between the 93 and 95) and really like it. Just wondering if anybody has used the Dave Taylor 0 in comparison to the Griego .25?

Thanks
bassboy

Re: Griego .25 Deco vs. Dave Taylor 0

Post by bassboy »

Not sure if this is helpful, as I haven't compared these two sizes. But I have compared the .75 New York and .75 Deco to the DT 1. Rim size and cup-wise they feel fairly close. This is on a Shires (in case that matters to you).
That being said, Dave's mouthpiece is nothing like anything in the standard series (to me). It's fairly lightweight, very very responsive, almost to a fault. Anything you do it will too. It's very "honest" and while it's nice not to have to work terribly hard to make anything happen and it has a fairly brilliant sound, you have absolutely nowhere to hide. I remember a particular bad day on the horn I was having, and without it being its fault, the DT did me no favors.
Ndwood

Post by Ndwood »

I’ve never tried out a .25 but I do the majority of my playing on a Taylor 0 and I’ve spent a while on a 93D. The Taylor 0 feels slightly smaller than a 93D so you might not get along with the rim size. The cup is also slightly more shallow than other pieces in the 60+ range. The backbore is pretty open but the piece is still overall easier to focus than my 93D. The sound isn’t as expansive but it’s easier to settle into the slots and I can put a little bit of heat on it when you need to. It also has a great high register and is easier to blend with tenors, even in a big band setting. It feels like a bass trombone mouthpiece for people who want something closer to a large 1.25 but need a 0 rim to be comfortable. It’s most likely a very different mouthpiece than the .25 but might complement it well if you find yourself in a lot of different musical settings.
hawkbtrb

Post by hawkbtrb »

Thanks for sharing your experiences!
ZacharyThornton

Post by ZacharyThornton »

I have tried both and those mouthpieces are NOTHING alike. The numbers mean very little. Design and mass matter more.
GBP

Post by GBP »

I have a David Taylor 0 that I use on my jazz horn. I play in a big band that plays charts that have the bass trombone mainly in the valve register or lower. While it is a good piece, you need to be in good shape to play it. It is very open. It would not be a piece I would consider for general playing. For my general playing, I use a GP7. It is better balanced than the David Taylor 0.

Return to “Mouthpieces”