Kanstul Modular Mouthpieces

neiltrombone

Kanstul Modular Mouthpieces

Post by neiltrombone »

I just picked up a whole bunch of modular parts from the Kanstul clearance. All the sizing is the same as Doug Elliott's, does anyone know if they are interchangeable? Does anyone use a Kanstul piece, if so how do you like it?
mrdeacon

Re: Kanstul Modular Mouthpieces

Post by mrdeacon »

I'm not even sure Alan Kaplan uses his Kanstul mouthpiece anymore, pretty sure he switched to AR. So your guess is as good as anyone's. The Kanstul mouthpieces never really took off.

Probably best sending measurements to Doug and asking him if anything will hook up.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

I would contact James R New mouthpieces. I believe he was the mouthpiece maker at Kanstul, and now has his own company.

http://james-r-new.com/
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I have idea, I haven't seen any of those.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
neiltrombone

Post by neiltrombone »

Well I guess I'll find out, I can update when I get them.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

It looks like Mr N is making trumpet mpcs.

I had a Kanstul GR model bass bone mpc that sounded and played great but sat so deep in the receiver your horn was right under your nose.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Bach5G wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:15 pm It looks like Mr N is making trumpet mpcs.

I had a Kanstul GR model bass bone mpc that sounded and played great but sat so deep in the receiver your horn was right under your nose.
Ahh, didn't realize that. Definitely couldn't hurt to ask though.

I think the GR mouthpiece was specifically designed to sit farther in. There was also a specific leadpipe that kanstul used on their GR model.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

Last edited by Schlitz on Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

tbonesullivan wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:53 pm I think the GR mouthpiece was specifically designed to sit farther in. There was also a specific leadpipe that kanstul used on their GR model.
The leadpipe had a normal morse taper on it. It was just Roberts mouthpiece that had the funky shank. It's the opposite of Yamaha where the mouthpieces have the normal shank but their pipes are designed for the piece to sit in super deep.

Totally recommend anyone who is interested in that 1 3/8ths type piece to check out the Bob Reeves Mr.Bass in Mercury blank. Super awesome piece and unlike the other Roberts designs it actually sits normally in a leadpipe.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

I think the GR mouthpiece was specifically designed to sit farther in.
Indeed that was his thinking, he found it an advantage and once explained to me how it came about and that it was a definite plus point for his design. Its not a case of it being a fault or a flaw this was what he gave us as an advantage. I'm not expressing an opinion here just saying if you are into the GR mouthpiece then fitting further into the lead pipe (whichever lead pipe) was what he was encouraging the player to do, he found it improved the response (and who would argue with George?)... Doug
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

Years ago, around 1985 I was a daily guest at Geaorg Strucels workshop experimenting on mouthpieces. One time when he worked in L.A. Geoerge Roberts walked in and made an order, 4 mouthpieces Bach, 1 1/2 G all with the shanks turned down to get forther in to the lead pipe. When he came back to pick them up, he payed and tested all four, through three away and left the one that he thought the best. I asked G S to make me a piece like that, he did, I played it for quite a while.

Return to “Mouthpieces”