Phosphor bronze

TimBrass

Phosphor bronze

Post by TimBrass »

Who has played a AR Resonance phosphor bronze mpc? What is the plus and minus of this material for the player?
If i'd have 2 identical mouthpieces (1 in brass and 1 in bronze) what would the benefits of each material be?

Would it be worth it to have a mouthpiece copied in phosphor bronze?

Thanks for all the info.....
SwissTbone

Re: Phosphor bronze

Post by SwissTbone »

I play on a AR Resonance Bronze mouthpiece on bass trombone. What I have found:

Much more responsive than the brass counterpart.
More "core" (don't know how to say it else).
LOUDER, really. Means less effort.
Maybe also brighter.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
bassboy

Post by bassboy »

cozzagiorgi wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:15 am I play on a AR Resonance Bronze mouthpiece on bass trombone. What I have found:

Much more responsive than the brass counterpart.
More "core" (don't know how to say it else).
LOUDER, really. Means less effort.
Maybe also brighter.
Do you mostly enjoy the sound you produce more or less than a brass piece?
Do you find it working better or worse in most playing situations?
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

I think it works better for loud brass band playing where you need some clarity to the sound so you don't get burried under the tubas. Thats what I bought it for.

All MDs told me they can hear me better. Sometimes they like it, sometimes not. It is definitely harder to achieve a tuba on a stick sound. Blending with tenor trombones is easier. Blending in with tubas or euphs is harder.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

Have not tried the Phosphor bronze, but my guess w/a harder, more dense metal would be a stronger core sound and less effort to play louder. Thats what I have concluded with the titanium piece that I have. Although I would love to try the Resonance in titanium, I'm sure I'm not able to justify another 400 dollar purchase simply for the name of Acoustics.
Conn 112 H w/bored out rotors w/heavyweight caps, Sterling Silver Edward's B3 and Shires B3 leadpipe w/62H slide. Long Island Brass Comp Dimensions 29.5 inner rim .323 backbore solid silver lefreque
lmalewic

Post by lmalewic »

I’ve been on the Bronze set up for a while. Compared to a standard brass top it has more core, more resonance, more sound for less effort. It makes the brass piece sound shallow in comparison even though Antonio’s brass pieces already have more core than standard ones for me. It’s hard to go back to playing a brass piece after using the bronze.
Luke Malewicz
Yamaha Artist and Clinician
Freelance Trombonist/Educator in the Chicago Area
www.LowBrassLuke.com

Return to “Mouthpieces”