Mouthpiece recommantion for Bach instrument!

PJB

Mouthpiece recommantion for Bach instrument!

Post by PJB »

Hi everyone! Im now using Griego alessi 6C mothpiece and my instrument is Bach 42A with Hagmann valve.

Its good mouthpiece, but I feel it's not well fitted with my instrument. So I have a plan to buy a new mouthpiece that well fitted to Bach instrument.

1. Please recommned good mothpiece with Bach instrument.
2. How about Schilke Symphony compared to Griego Alessi?
Would it be well fitted to my Bach insteument?
BGuttman

Re: Mouthpiece recommantion for Bach instrument!

Post by BGuttman »

We need to know what you feel is wrong. Is it not fitting in the trombone properly? If so, how is it not fitting? Is it not working for you? What about its performance don't you like?

Dumb question: are you trying to use a small shank mouthpiece in a large shank trombone? There are Griego 6C mouthpieces in small and large shank.

Lots of people use that mouthpiece with a Bach 42 or similarly sized trombone.

Schilke Symphony comes in various sizes. Some will fit you better than others.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

My guess, based on nothing, is that it's the Bach trombone
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Mouthpiece selection depends on three things - the trombone, the mouthpiece, and the player. There is no one best mouthpiece for any horn; a mouthpiece that works for one player my not work well for another player on the exact same horn. There are people like Doug Elliott who can do an on-line consultation and direct you to the right mouthpiece.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Kingfan wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:09 am Mouthpiece selection depends on three things - the trombone, the mouthpiece, and the player….. snip …. There are people like Doug Elliott who can do an on-line consultation and direct you to the right mouthpiece.
Yes to this. Mouthpiece selection depends on three things too: Rim, Cup and shank. Doug helped me quickly isolate and check out these variables. The result of the consult and trying various combinations:
Positives - improved comfort and range. A ‘piece I’m loving long after the honeymoon period;
Negatives - Regrets that I’d missed these benefits by not doing a consult years ago.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I would suspect that PJB is not an English speaker and does not live in the US. A consult with Doug may be difficult at best.

Still, from what he posted it's tough to make any recommendations.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Do you have a teacher? If so what does he/she say?
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

People all over the world know at least some English... we're the ones who mostly don't know other languages.
Communicating about mouthpiece choice is not usually much of a problem.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Savio

Post by Savio »

Doug Elliott wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:24 pm People all over the world know at least some English... we're the ones who mostly don't know other languages.
Communicating about mouthpiece choice is not usually much of a problem.
:good:
I feel it is easier to talk than write English. I don't trust Google translate. When talking it's easier to make misunderstandings right there and then.

Leif
Trombo

Post by Trombo »

The winner of the 2019 Tchaikovsky Competition Alexey Lobikov plays on the Bach 42A trombone and Bach Megatone 4G mouthpiece.

Slidehamilton

Post by Slidehamilton »

As I have said before, what Doug taught me was that every player has an ideal mouthpiece size for their face! The correct cup diameter (inner edge of the rim, to inner edge of the rim) once that is established, than you are better equiped to find the right mouthpiece for you. In my opinion, if you don't approach it this way, you are chasing your tail. Doug is a master at helping people with this. I am dure he can help you too. I doubt there's anything wrong with your horn. Give Doug a shout!
btone

Post by btone »

Once you establish what is the best inner diameter for you, you still must establish the best depth of cup for your needs and then you can find a mouthpiece in this size range which will properly resonate your instrument. There is certainly more to it than finding the right size mouthpiece for you because every horn does not interact ideally with every mouthpiece. You may have to try several mouthpieces in your size range to find one that optimizes your individual setup. Similarly, you can take half a dozen similar slides and they will react differently even if you utilize the same bell section on each. You never know what's optimum until you put it on your instrument and try it.

Return to “Mouthpieces”