Courtois Legend 440 Question

Bach42t

Courtois Legend 440 Question

Post by Bach42t »

Although not listed as a spec, and maybe it's going to take someone with some internal knowledge (such as a dealer) to answer, but is it possible to special order a Legend 440 with the sterling silver bell? I see it's available on the other tenors. I have everything lined up to pull the trigger (pun intended) on a new 88HSGX but just in case, doesn't hurt to ask. Or be told no.
castrubone

Re: Courtois Legend 440 Question

Post by castrubone »

I don't think that's an option on the 440. If it were able to be done it would probably be a special custom order ($$$). It would also probably play quite different from the 88HSGX as the Conn would be entirely silver plated and have gold trim w/no lacquer. If you know you'd be happy with the SGX then I'd pull that trigger! It would definitely be less expensive than whatever the Courtois would cost and it's not an imitation of an 88H...it's an 88H :)
timbone

Post by timbone »

Hello!

The AC440 is an awesome instrument! However, you need to know that the AC440 is available silver plated, but with the AC420 series, the bell is a solid sheet of silver, which is much more expensive. That is the "Becquet" horn which I am told is making its presence known at the ITF this year. The Conn is probably silver plated as well, and the "Sterling silver" 3B is an electro formed bell. Can anyone opine on this?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

timbone wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:40 am Hello!

The AC440 is an awesome instrument! However, you need to know that the AC440 is available silver plated, but with the AC420 series, the bell is a solid sheet of silver, which is much more expensive. That is the "Becquet" horn which I am told is making its presence known at the ITF this year. The Conn is probably silver plated as well, and the "Sterling silver" 3B is an electro formed bell. Can anyone opine on this?
For the record: Conn SGX bells are electroformed. King Sterling bells are made from sheet metal.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"

Return to “Instruments”