Conn Trombone

TromboneDreams

Conn Trombone

Post by TromboneDreams »

Hello ! This trombone is a straight Conn(director?). I have no information about this model. Can help me with any information possible ? It's a student model ? I put some photos with logo and others signatures series present on trombone .
Photo with slide series is unclear, also in reality is unclear , sorry for that .. series is something like that (H40519?).
Thank you and sorry for bad english !
TromboneDreams

Re: Conn Trombone

Post by TromboneDreams »

I think attachment with photo no work.
Put the photos in another way .
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

A Conn Director will have the word "Director" on the slide near where the mouthpiece goes in. It also has a distinctive engraving with 3 marching men and a "shower" of stars on the bell.

There are actually a number of versions of the Director, which was Conn's Student horn from the mid 1950s to today. It does play well, though and can be used as a jazz horn and especially for gigs where you don't want to risk a good instrument (like Carneval bands or outdoor Christmas caroling).

There should be a model number like 16H, 18H, 20H, 22H, etc. in front of the serial number. The serial number can range from 6 digits (older than 1965) to a letter and 5 digits (1965 to around 1975), two letters and a 6 digit number, and there is a more modern number that I don't know.

If the true serial number is H4xxxx, it probably dates from the late 1960s.

Note that to post pictures and receive Private Messages or have an e-mail listed you need two approved posts. With your next post you will be all set.

I see you have put in a second post and attached pictures that show the word Director as well as the "shower of stars" bell engraving. This is typical of late Elkhart, Indiana production.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
TromboneDreams

Post by TromboneDreams »

it's like a student model ,no? can estimate year of production ?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

According to this list: https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/ConnSer ... Brass.html it's 1966.

Yes, it's a student model.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
TexasTBone

Post by TexasTBone »

I'm bumping thsi thread because I just picked up a Conn Director that was made in 1960. There is no indication anywhere on the horn I can find to indicate the specific model. My best guess is it's a 14H. Any advice on how to determine the specific model number?
Getzen 3062AF
Shires Q Alessi Tenor
Shires Q35 Alto
Buescher Grand Tru-Tone (1925)
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

TexasTBone wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:40 am I'm bumping thsi thread because I just picked up a Conn Director that was made in 1960. There is no indication anywhere on the horn I can find to indicate the specific model. My best guess is it's a 14H. Any advice on how to determine the specific model number?
There is a 6 digit serial number near the bell joint. Just before it should be the model number. Probably 14H or 16H.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
TexasTBone

Post by TexasTBone »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:03 am There is a 6 digit serial number near the bell joint. Just before it should be the model number. Probably 14H or 16H.
There isn't. It's just the serial number.
Getzen 3062AF
Shires Q Alessi Tenor
Shires Q35 Alto
JKno

Post by JKno »

Mine is to the left of the serno by a bit...

CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Sometimes on Conns, the model number is on the slide receiver on the bell section (where you insert the slide into the bell section), right near where you tighten the two parts together.

Jim Scott
TexasTBone

Post by TexasTBone »

Nope - There is no model number in either of those locations. There is only a serial number that dates to 1960.

Edit: On further inspection, it looks like the receiver may have been repaired or replaced at some point. It has "Director" stanped on it and the engraving on the bell is right for the Director series. I did manage to find a speadsheet of Conn trombone models and their years of production.

https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/ConnTrbHFull.html

If this is accurate, the horn can't possibly be anything other than a 14H.
Getzen 3062AF
Shires Q Alessi Tenor
Shires Q35 Alto
tweak4

Post by tweak4 »

Same thing here- I have a Conn that has the 6-digit serial number at the top of one side of the slide, but no model reference there or on the slide receiver. Plus, according to the lists people posted, the serial traces back to the 1920s, but I don't think it's nearly that old. For reference, I've owned this particular horn since I first started back in about 1988. It was used when my parents got it, but I didn't feel like it was especially old.

(Then, there's my wife's first horn, which looks like the same model, but has no serial at all- though I think that was due to a low-budget repair job sometime before she got it)

Were there any significant physical differences between the various models that can be used to identify them in absence of a stamped model number or serial?
Last edited by tweak4 on Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”