Conn Artist Symphony

PaKETaZ

Conn Artist Symphony

Post by PaKETaZ »

What do you think about this one? 88H?

I don't have a lot of informations at the moment, but it sells for €750 ($840).
I'll have the serial number during the we.

The seller says the slide is a little grippy between 6th and 7th, lacquer a bit aged.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
—Julien—
Courtois Xtreme AC430TL - XO 1634LT
hyperbolica

Re: Conn Artist Symphony

Post by hyperbolica »

They are decent enough horns. You'll need a slide job, it sounds like. No real way of knowing for sure without playing it.
PaKETaZ

Post by PaKETaZ »

Thank you Matt. But if the horn is decent (not bad, not excellent), do you think $840 is a fair price? It seems ok to me but I’d like to have advices.
If I pay for a slide work, and if it’s not the right horse, I think I’ll be able to sell it w/o loosing money.
—Julien—
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

PaKETaZ wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:59 pm Thank you Matt. But if the horn is decent (not bad, not excellent), do you think $840 is a fair price? It seems ok to me but I’d like to have advices.
If I pay for a slide work, and if it’s not the right horse, I think I’ll be able to sell it w/o loosing money.
I wouldn't buy it without playing it. $840 is a "fair" price if it plays well. If you get a dog it might be hard flipping it for the same price.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Depends... do you buy it to play it? Then I would definitely want to test it. If it plays good for you, why not.

If you buy it in order to resell it for more, I dont think it would be worth it. Might even be difficult to resell at the same price.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

In the states, that's a fairly low price for a horn that might be a risk. With a good slide it's less of a risk. If you've got a need for the horn, go for it. If you're afraid of losing money you've got to try it first.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

This is an early 70s 88H that probably needs some work. If you end up flipping it, you might get your money back or loose a little. I would pass. This vintage is sketchy and good 88H's are not hard to find.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Julien, I have some good horns. You should PM me.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

To be honest, no, I wouldn't buy one of that era regardless of the price. But I'm spoiled by a very nice Elkhart.
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Artist Symphony Conn's can be very instruments. I had an 8H that I bought new in 1987 that was the equal of any other 8H out there. I wish I had not sold it now. Yes, there are some that are less than great, too, but that applies to virtually every other production brand as well. That is a great price for an 88. Of any era. Anything less than 1000 is a bargain!
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
mfellows821

Post by mfellows821 »

I agree with hornbuilder. There are plenty of Abilene 88H's that are better than Elkharts and vice versa. A nice Abilene 88H can sell for more than $1000. If you can verify condition of inner slide tubes $840 is a fair price. I think you can generally sell a used trombone for about what you paid for it- sometimes more- sometimes less. Kind of like trying out a horn with a substantial deposit.
chromebone

Post by chromebone »

greenbean wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:38 pm This is an early 70s 88H
This is late ‘70’s early 80’s pre-UMI. “Artist Symphony” started around 1975-1977 or so and carried over into the early UMI days. Previous Abilene horns would have had the Elkhart style engraving with “Made in USA or Abilene TX” instead of Elkhart In until around 1975.If this was a UMI Artist Symphony, it would have orange lacquer.
PaKETaZ

Post by PaKETaZ »

Ok, thank you all. I didn’t get news this last we, nevermind...
I don’t really need a large bore at the moment, but if I find a good one at a good price, why not...

I’m right now in discussion for a 2B SS at a really good price: really different horse... There’s something wrong with me... I know I’m not the only one: it does make me feel a little better...
—Julien—
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

PaKETaZ wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 4:54 am
I’m right now in discussion for a 2B SS at a really good price: really different horse... There’s something wrong with me... I know I’m not the only one: it does make me feel a little better...
I am in the middle of selling two trombones and buying two trombones. And trying to hook someone I don't really know up with a nice bass trombone. And I can need another trombone like a hole in my head.

Takes time and energy. Why? I love it, can't say why... :-) So, no, you are not alone!
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
timbone

Post by timbone »

Hey if you're interested I'll sell you my Elkhart 88 and I am in the states. Its a '63 or 66.
PaKETaZ

Post by PaKETaZ »

timbone wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:27 am Hey if you're interested I'll sell you my Elkhart 88 and I am in the states. Its a '63 or 66.
Thank you Tim, but I just bought the SS. Can’t wait to have it in my hands!
—Julien—
timbone

Post by timbone »

Congrats and good luck!
Driswood

Post by Driswood »

I had a 1978 88H that was a DREAM horn. Sold it to a student in 1983. Really wish I had that horn back. It was definitely one of the good Abilenes.

I bought it from Chuck Levin. He told me it was hand picked at the factory for the Marine Band. I thought this guy really wants to sell me a horn. Then I played it. My buddy and I knew right away it was the one.
Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Schilke 47B
1989 Yamaha YSL-684G
Bach 6 3/4C

Return to “Instruments”