System Blue trombones - any advice?

GroovesMcFly

System Blue trombones - any advice?

Post by GroovesMcFly »

My son was at the WGI percussion championships and learned about System Blue. They sell trombones. Has anyone had any experience with these?

http://www.lonestarpercussion.com/March ... mbone.html

Thanks!
harrisonreed

Re: System Blue trombones - any advice?

Post by harrisonreed »

The rotor looks backwards, as does the water key. I would say "give a wide berth"
wwright

Post by wwright »

It sure is different. The tuning slide is marked with reference lines so everyone can adjust to different temperatures. I guess without having to tune it by ear?

https://systemblue.org/brass/tuning/

Their web site says "System Blue instruments are distributed through BAC Musical Instruments" which is a very reputable brass instrument maker. They are not inexpensive, too. I'd be curious to hear if anyone has tried it.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

wwright wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:45 am It sure is different. The tuning slide is marked with reference lines so everyone can adjust to different temperatures. I guess without having to tune it by ear?

https://systemblue.org/brass/tuning/

Their web site says "System Blue instruments are distributed through BAC Musical Instruments" which is a very reputable brass instrument maker. They are not inexpensive, too. I'd be curious to hear if anyone has tried it.
:lol: like the distributed renta-trombone that is called the Elliott Mason model that is not, in fact, the Elliott Mason model. Cue Taylor Swift, "Big Reputation".

Also, re: tuning slides - because tuning slides are what make you play in tune :lol:

Looking at the photo, it looks like a lefty trombone with the slide reversed to make it ... a righty trombone? That picture is all sorts of jacked up.

At least it includes the white gloves. You can never underestimate the value of one size fits all white gloves!
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

It's a jinbao 42BO copy. Nothing to see here.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
sirisobhakya

Post by sirisobhakya »

The white gloves...
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

The ad is enough to tell this is people who do not know much about brass instruments and do not know much about tuning. It is your ears that make it possible to play in tune. To have a bandleader pushing everybody's tuningslide a couple of millimeters is funny and on the other end a large tuningslide that is totally out of his control. The picture shows something I would never buy.

/Tom
timbone

Post by timbone »

F attachment for switching keys? Is this the new Superbone I've been hearing about? Bonus tuning chart- I may have to refer to it while I am doing an about face......
braymond21

Post by braymond21 »

I didn't see any mention of trombones on the System Blue website. And the one in the link you shared looks like a Chinese copy unlike the other System Blue horns that are of really good quality. I also can't find that trombone anywhere else on the internet so it seems like they just took a Chinese instrument and tried to associate a popular name with it.
Bryce Raymond
Owner/Repair Tech, Raymond Music
https://www.raymondmusic.com
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

All System Blue instruments are made by Jinbao.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

harrisonreed wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:13 amLooking at the photo, it looks like a lefty trombone with the slide reversed to make it ... a righty trombone? That picture is all sorts of jacked up.
It's a regular right-handed trombone that was assembled left-handed for the photograph, then someone noticed that it didn't look right and flipped it. So you have something that looks like a left-handed trombone assembled right-handed.

Here's another example, perpetrated by Olds back in the 1970's:
http://itsabear.com/Olds_Docs/P24G_Facts.pdf
GroovesMcFly

Post by GroovesMcFly »

So does Jinbao make decent instruments? I mean, everything is made in China these days including my iPhone.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

For that price? No. You can find a used, real 42BO all day for around $1300.
sirisobhakya

Post by sirisobhakya »

I believe Jinbao is one of the cheaper manufacturer in China.

You can get every grade of goods from China. They are able to produce top-of-the-line, extremely well-made instruments, cars, phones, etc. It depends on whether you are ready to pay the money or not, and whether the money is inflated or not.

In this case, as mentioned, Jinbao is normally on the cheaper side. However, the price is much inflated. An equivalent Jinbao trombone should not cost more than $400, and even with value added from quality check, control and marketing should not exceed $1000.
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
GroovesMcFly

Post by GroovesMcFly »

Burgerbob wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:32 pm For that price? No. You can find a used, real 42BO all day for around $1300.
OK, thank you. That's really helpful, and it's the kind of next trombone he needs: large bore + F attachment.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

GroovesMcFly wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:11 pm
Burgerbob wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:32 pm For that price? No. You can find a used, real 42BO all day for around $1300.
OK, thank you. That's really helpful, and it's the kind of next trombone he needs: large bore + F attachment.
A quick search turned up this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bach-Stradivar ... SwYnRcvWCc

I just searched Bach 42. I wouldn't necessarily buy that one, but there are a great many deals out there on good used horns.

Return to “Instruments”