Kanstul 1670 availability

bigbandbone

Kanstul 1670 availability

Post by bigbandbone »

I wrote to Kanstul and asked about availability on 1670's. Here's the reply I received. Unfortunately this is out of my price range. Maybe someone here would be interested.

Hi Dan,

We have one new 1670 remaining. It will likely be the last one. It's new,
and has never left the showroom. The price is $3600 plus shipping. If you
are in California, sales tax applies.

Charles G Hargett
Director of Sales
Kanstul Musical Instruments
Anaheim, California, USA

714-563-1000 Office
562-686-5108 Mobile
www.kanstul.com
timbone

Re: Kanstul 1670 availability

Post by timbone »

3600 is very reasonable for a single trigger bass trombone- is that what you want, a single trigger bass? And you are owing a piece of history (sad to say). I have no problem with a single trigger trust me- players today use a second valve the way a tenor players uses a single rotor. Its a crutch. And yes you can be super technical. Sorry as I own all of them, but you can play pretty much anything on single trigger basses, AND on straight tenors.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

A player can play into the trigger range on a straight tenor? You might be able to produce those false tones but it is much easier when physics is not fighting against you.

A double trigger bass is a crutch, huh? Then all those world class bass trombone players that utilize double triggers should feel ashamed of themselves!

Truth is, most of us use the equipment we use because it makes our lives easier. It allows us to focus on music making rather than making the instrument work.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

timbone wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:38 pm 3600 is very reasonable for a single trigger bass trombone- is that what you want, a single trigger bass? And you are owing a piece of history (sad to say). I have no problem with a single trigger trust me- players today use a second valve the way a tenor players uses a single rotor. Its a crutch. And yes you can be super technical. Sorry as I own all of them, but you can play pretty much anything on single trigger basses, AND on straight tenors.
I understand what you mean, but the art of knowing how to play the single trigger (with fake notes) is more of a lost art. My teacher Sven Larsson who is a member of this forum do know how to play anything on the single and does not need a second valve. I heard him in the 80ies when he was at his best and it was impossible to tell the difference from a fake note and a real trigger note. It was loud and clear, articulated and smooth. Noone ever questioned why he only had one valve. He even use circular breathing on those low factitious notes and circular breathing in the pedal range at least down to pedal F. I know this because I heard him do it in closeup many many times. I will never forget the astonishment the first time I heard that. He still uses a single for everything. For him a single is easier than a double. You can say he does not need a second valvet as a crutch, but the skills he has must be very rare skills today.

I have put a lot of work into making those notes to speak too. I started to practice them back in the early 80ies. I can now do factitious notes pretty well, with good sound but not as good and as fluent and fast as he do them.

Today noone I know use a single like that, except me. I try my very best to be like him on the single trigger bass.

/Tom

Return to “Instruments”