Tbone s for sale from Japan?

bigbandbone

Tbone s for sale from Japan?

Post by bigbandbone »

Just curious. Why are there so many choice tbone for sale on eBay from Japan?
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Re: Tbone s for sale from Japan?

Post by HawaiiTromboneGuy »

I’ve noticed the influx of auctions coming from Japan, too. With that said, they do have some very nice horns on other Japanese sites as well!
Drew A.
Professional bum.
Specialk3700

Post by Specialk3700 »

I believe a few people on the forum have bought them and I believe they all had pretty good experiences.
Engineering student with a trombone problem.
Edwards B454
Shires Bravo
Yamaha 354
HawaiiTromboneGuy

I’m one of those that recently acquired a horn from Japan a couple of weeks ago. It was a vintage Conn and according to the representative that helped me, it was listed for a little over a year. Being of Japanese decent, we have a strong sense of pride and a strong work ethic. I wouldn’t really worry about purchasing a horn from Japan. Out of all of my experiences I’ve never had an issue. Plus the US dollar is stronger against the Japanese yen.
Drew A.
Professional bum.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

I see a couple Olds trombones on eBay from a seller in Japan.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Olds-Recording ... SwzqBcuYc0
https://www.ebay.com/itm/F-E-Olds-Recor ... SwTzVcuYdP

At the prices they are asking, the horns really need to be pristine - and they need to include enough really good photographs to show just how perfect they are. Even if they're near new condition, I don't think I've ever seen any Olds trombone go for more than $2,000 on eBay.
sirisobhakya

Post by sirisobhakya »

In my opinion, because of these reasons:

1. They are very active band country: almost every sizable town and city has at least one semi-pro or amateur band, not including school bands.

2. Foreign horns are expensive because of import tax. For example, a Bach 50B3O is around ¥700k while the top line Yamaha YBL-822G is ¥570k. So buying secondhand is much cheaper. Yamahas are relatively cheap though, because they see it as domestic brand.

3. They are, I think by the nature of the people, very careful. So the horns are usually in pretty good shape.

4. This one is a speculation, but I think because most houses in Japan are very small, they cannot afford having many horns lying around. The fact thatJapanese people are quite thrifty might also contribute to this: they sell and then buy a hew horn.

I bought 2 horns from Yahoo Auction Japan: a YSL-822UII and a YBL-612. The first one is in very good shape, without any ding or scratch, at ¥100k including VAT, which is very cheap in Japan.
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

When I was in the market, I was scared off of the horns from Japan because the ebay description always included a warning that any "import duties, taxes, and charges" were the buyer's responsibility and I had no idea what, if anything, these charges would amount to.

I now have a friend who is in the market for a horn, and he is facing the same dilemma.

If a person from the U.S. buys, for example, a $2,000 horn from Japan on ebay, what kind of extra charges, if any, does he incur (other than the stated shipping fee, if any)?
HawaiiTromboneGuy

PaulT wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:29 pm When I was in the market, I was scared off of the horns from Japan because the ebay description always included a warning that any "import duties, taxes, and charges" were the buyer's responsibility and I had no idea what, if anything, these charges would amount to.

I now have a friend who is in the market for a horn, and he is facing the same dilemma.

If a person from the U.S. buys, for example, a $2,000 horn from Japan on ebay, what kind of extra charges, if any, does he incur (other than the stated shipping fee, if any)?
While I haven’t purchased a horn on eBay from Japan, I have purchased about 3-4 horns off Yahoo Japan Auction as well as my recent purchase through a music store in Japan. I did not pay any additional taxes or import duties on any of those purchases.
Drew A.
Professional bum.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

They clutter up the bass trombone search pretty hard, since many tenors are labeled as "tenor-bass." The prices are always sky-high as well.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

I bought a Yamaha off ebay and had a really good experience with the guy. It was the only horn I have ever seen from Japan that was the right price! Maybe its the stirling exchange rate, or perhaps their standard of living is much higher but these Japanese prices are so high as to make them totally unteniable unless they were like new. Their habit of describing everything with an F valve on as tenor-bass is very irritating when you are searching for bass trombones. I just skip anything that says its from Japan now without even looking at the price or condition.
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

So I just did a bit of looking on ebay whilst trying to think why Japanese prices are so expensive. Here is a Bags of Spain case for sale on ebay. Its $675 or £519. I could buy that for half the price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bags-Eftt-24 ... Swlf5cuYc7

It has to be their domestic prices right? They earn more than us Brits? or they are suffering massive inflation? Does anyone outside japan buy these things off of ebay?

Just curious - especially as ITF is there next year?
Robindubois

Post by Robindubois »

I once asked a Japanese seller on ebay why would he sell a used Hammond mouthpiece for more than the price of a new one. He just told me that the shipping was included in the price...
That obviously does not make sense as his price was higher than the price of a new one including shipping. I was hopping he would tell me that the mouthpiece had something special or that it was intended for the Japanese Market but he wasn't willing to explain me more...
Maybe my question lacked diplomacy.
I'm interested if someone has ever had the chance to actually discuss that price difference with a person in Japan.
Last edited by Robindubois on Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

全然意味が分かんねぇ
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

So Google tells me that means "The meaning is understood at all" I guess theres an 'nt' missing after 'is'?!
PhilE

Post by PhilE »

Yes I tend to skip over them when perusing the bay but have a look every now and then.

I have noticed that quite a number of them seem to have quite severe corrosion evident in the pictures.

A few years ago I bought a YSL 641 from a Japanese ebay seller for a good price. It's in pristine condition. It arrived at my door (Western Australia) 4 days after purchasing which was pretty amazing.

It's a struggle to get mail sent from within Australia in 4 days.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

DougHulme wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:05 am So Google tells me that means "The meaning is understood at all" I guess theres an 'nt' missing after 'is'?!
Google translate is pretty bad at slang. It means "I don't get what you're saying at all".

Haha!

Google translate would probably understand:

私はこの会話が全然分からないんですが。

Slang: zenzen imi ga wakanne
not slang: watashi wa kono kaiwa ga zenzen wakaranain desu ga.

Either way those prices are way too high.

Just tell em: "ふざけるな、泥棒"
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

I just had to go to google to check it out, yes ha ha you are right on all counts. Will be interesting to see how the ITF goes next year in Japan. Logically the locals will buy anything the trade stands supply since everythig will be half price... cant see anyone saying ふざけるな、泥棒
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Haha, I didn't even realize ITF was going to Japan -- I'm moving there in June
Robindubois

Post by Robindubois »

harrisonreed wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:19 pm 全然意味が分かんねぇ
😅 Yeah maybe I should have written in Japanese.
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

ITF 2020. July 2nd-5th. Toyonaka Performing Arts Centre, Osaka
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Ah, yep. I forgot about the reason why I never am able to attend ITF, even if it's in my backyard.
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

全然意味が分かんねぇ !!
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

説明してあげようぜ:

Military Band + 4th of July = unlikely to go to ITF.

It's almost always during that week.

だから全然トロンボーンコンへ行くのが出来ねえ
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

I think thats what they call "Murphys Law'! I bet the Japanese dont have a phrase for that?

Return to “Instruments”