JP Rath Alto Trombone

Dablauer

JP Rath Alto Trombone

Post by Dablauer »

Hello All,

I’m in the market for an alto and was looking at the JP Rath as an inexpensive horn. It seems like an alto would make life easier in the almost handful ‘o’ times a year. Does anyone have any first hand positive or negatives about this horn? Thanks
BGuttman

Re: JP Rath Alto Trombone

Post by BGuttman »

An alto is not an easy way to play high notes.

An alto is not intuitive to play; you have to learn it. Gooing from tenor trombone to alto is not like going from tenor sax to alto.

So I wouldn't expect it to make your life any easier when you think it might.

That said, it's not a bad horn if you want to learn alto.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Dablauer

Post by Dablauer »

Thanks Bruce.

I understand what you are saying, and I know how to play alto trombone. I was just wondering about the quality and if anyone had anything pros or cons about it. Apologies if that was unclear.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

They are excellent horns, especially for the money. Not the best 7th, but good good good. It's what I mostly play.
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

Learning Alto is like teaching an aardvark to do calligraphy. A good horn will help.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

whitbey wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:12 pm Learning Alto is like teaching an aardvark to do calligraphy. A good horn will help.
I think that's a bit extreme. But while the concept of playing trombone applies to an alto, it's a very different instrument from the tenor. And the F alto is even more different. You don't just put down the tenor and play alto like you would with saxophones.

When I was a kid it was extremely unusual to see an alto trombone in use. They were only used in symphony orchestras for a very limited repertoire and you didn't learn how to play one until you could borrow one from your conservatory. Many trombone players went entire careers without ever having to play an alto. Nowadays alto trombones are becoming popular, but not any easier to play.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I disagree. Alto can be easily learned by a competent tenor trombonist, but having a good horn and the correct mouthpiece is critical.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:23 pm I disagree. Alto can be easily learned by a competent tenor trombonist, but having a good horn and the correct mouthpiece is critical.
And in some countries children are routinely started on alto.

Probably we should all play alto twice. Once when we are small, again as we age and struggle with the weight and unergonomicness of the tenor.
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

timothy42b wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:41 am
And in some countries children are routinely started on alto.

Probably we should all play alto twice. Once when we are small, again as we age and struggle with the weight and unergonomicness of the tenor.
This is my particular situation why i play alto trombone. In the age of 13 I learned trumpet in a brass band. 5 years later i had have a crash with a motorbike. Since this time i was paraplegic disabled. My arms and hands are not perfectly working, so I could no longer play a trumpet.
I looked for a brass instrument that I could still play. So, I came to the trombone. But with my
disable arms, I could not reach the 7th position on a normal Bb trombone. So I came to the alto and
it works fine for me. Now my search started for the perfect alto trombone. My first one was a
B&S alto, but it was to small for the sound I want have. So, I bought a Conn 34H. It was nearly
perfect. I needed a tenor like sound, cause I played the first trombone part, together with two
other guys, in a german church orchestra, calling “Posaunenchor”. The two other guys plays
36er Bach. So I looked for a bigger alto. I met Helmut Voigt on the Frankfurter Musik Messe.
He builds me an alto with a really big bore. 12,7/13,9mm. What a sound! I fall in love with altos.
Today, i play in three german “Posaunenchors”. Either the first trombone part, or the low trumpet parts.
I am not being a professionel, but I have a lot of fun with my altos. For my situation is an alto the best way
to make music.

Return to “Instruments”