Plastic Trombone comparison

whydoyoulook

Plastic Trombone comparison

Post by whydoyoulook »

Has anyone compared the many plastic trombones that are out there? Jiggs pBone, Cool wind CTB-200, Tromba TRB, etc?

Long story short, I'm going to be deploying out to the middle-east with the US Army. I really don't want to lose my chops while I'm gone, but I REALLY don't want to pay to ship (and potentially break) my real trombone. So, I'm thinking about getting a plastic one.

I played a pBone at a local music shop, and I was somewhat impressed with the sound. For a plastic/carbon-fiber instrument, it wasn't terrible. On the other hand, I haven't heard anything good about the Tromba, so I'm interested in hearing what you all have to say. I'm especially interested in the Cool Wind one, as it comes with an F attachment, and doesn't cost too much more than the pBone.
DougHulme

Re: Plastic Trombone comparison

Post by DougHulme »

Well Tromba were initially P Bone but there was a difference in Chinese business ethics and we have what we have today (I would stick with P-Bone as I know some of the guys who brought it out and I like them - they deserve the credit and therefore the sales for being the designers!) so there is very little to choose between those two but the big difference with the Cool Winds one (besides having an F valve) is it takes a large shank mouthpiece if you are used to a 547 bore then it has some merits over the P Bone (which I think? is a .525 bore) but both play well and as you have discovered its surprising how well they do play for a plastic trombone. I have given a few cool winds to my students and the only thing I would say is really check the valve is working well before you walk away from the shop. Several of the cool wind valves have taken an eternity to get them working as I would like (but others have been fine out of the box). The P-Bone has the back up of an establishment and of the people that "invented" plastic trombones... my two penneth worth for what its worth!! - Of course you could just buy a cheap old brass horn and not worry about it getting even more beat up? - Doug
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

You can make the pBone slide last longer by using car wax on the stockings before they corrode. After, pretty much too late.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

A few years ago, I found the Tromba to play slightly better and smoother than the standard (not Jiggs) pBone. And a few $$ cheaper at that time. But that's based only on a relatively brief trial of one sample each. Neither would compete with a decent brass trombone in a professional (or semi-professional) setting. But should be fine for chops maintenance.

In any case, these are plastic (ABS) instruments, with brass inner slide stockings. As far as I know, there is no (expensive) carbon fiber involved (perhaps some fiberglass in the inner slides?). U.S. price about $150 each, for either brand. If you want a carbon fiber slide, it will probably cost at least $1,500 - plus a bell.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

My discharge date from the army was about 6 months before my unit was deployed to Iraq (this was October of 2002). I kept in touch with my former band mates and heard stories of slides and valves trashed by the desert sand. A plastic trombone may be a great idea.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I'd probably get a used 354. You can get one for not that much difference in price used.
Griffot39

Post by Griffot39 »

I literally hadn’t touched a trombone for 50 years when my family gave me a Zo plastic trombone for my birthday. Back in the day I had a King 2B before teeth problems meant I had to give up). I gather the Zo is the new trombone on the block but know very little else about the other brands. Suffice to say I’m having a great deal of fun with this bright red, very light instrument. I’m assuming that the slide will wear much faster than metal would but other than that it’s amazing. Anybody know anything about the brand? Google hasn’t been very helpful.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

No idea about that brand. There are a few plastic trombones out there and probably more as the sales show interest.

If yours has metal stockings, polish the stockings with fine steel wool, especially the edges of the stockings. This will slow the wear on the outer slide and improve slide action.

Enjoy your toy.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
HGrobot

Post by HGrobot »

DougHulme wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:40 pm Well Tromba were initially P Bone but there was a difference in Chinese business ethics and we have what we have today (I would stick with P-Bone as I know some of the guys who brought it out and I like them - they deserve the credit and therefore the sales for being the designers!) so there is very little to choose between those two but the big difference with the Cool Winds one (besides having an F valve) is it takes a large shank mouthpiece if you are used to a 547 bore then it has some merits over the P Bone (which I think? is a .525 bore) but both play well and as you have discovered its surprising how well they do play for a plastic trombone. I have given a few cool winds to my students and the only thing I would say is really check the valve is working well before you walk away from the shop. Several of the cool wind valves have taken an eternity to get them working as I would like (but others have been fine out of the box). The P-Bone has the back up of an establishment and of the people that "invented" plastic trombones... my two penneth worth for what its worth!! - Of course you could just buy a cheap old brass horn and not worry about it getting even more beat up? - Doug
I second what you say about checking the valves on the Cool Winds trombone. I got to try one that we got in at work recently and it sounds surprisingly good for a plastic instrument, but the valve was pretty dicey. I don’t know if it was just misaligned or what it’s deal was, but it threw intonation into chaos with the valve engaged. Definitely play test and check the valve before leaving the shop!
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I did an on line search for Zo plastic trombones. All the hits were in Australia.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
FullPedalTrombonist

Post by FullPedalTrombonist »

HGrobot wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:55 pm
DougHulme wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:40 pm Well Tromba were initially P Bone but there was a difference in Chinese business ethics and we have what we have today (I would stick with P-Bone as I know some of the guys who brought it out and I like them - they deserve the credit and therefore the sales for being the designers!) so there is very little to choose between those two but the big difference with the Cool Winds one (besides having an F valve) is it takes a large shank mouthpiece if you are used to a 547 bore then it has some merits over the P Bone (which I think? is a .525 bore) but both play well and as you have discovered its surprising how well they do play for a plastic trombone. I have given a few cool winds to my students and the only thing I would say is really check the valve is working well before you walk away from the shop. Several of the cool wind valves have taken an eternity to get them working as I would like (but others have been fine out of the box). The P-Bone has the back up of an establishment and of the people that "invented" plastic trombones... my two penneth worth for what its worth!! - Of course you could just buy a cheap old brass horn and not worry about it getting even more beat up? - Doug
I second what you say about checking the valves on the Cool Winds trombone. I got to try one that we got in at work recently and it sounds surprisingly good for a plastic instrument, but the valve was pretty dicey. I don’t know if it was just misaligned or what it’s deal was, but it threw intonation into chaos with the valve engaged. Definitely play test and check the valve before leaving the shop!
Did the valve assembly look like it could be adjusted? I’ve been thinking about getting one of those for some reason. It’s been in my amazon list for years it seems
Nhtrombone

Post by Nhtrombone »

I have both a pBone and a Tromba. The tromba feels better in my hands but the intonation idiosyncrasies make it a bit more challenging to play than the pBone. Tone quality is close to equal on both with a SLIGHT edge going to the pBone. Slide is way better on the Tromba. Tromba also has a lock nut between the slide/bell - not friction fit. Tromba also comes with a FAR superior case and a clunky but functional trombone stand - which fits IN the case. Regardless of the brand, both improve SIGNIFICANTLY with a "real" mouthpiece - I have a Kelly on my pBone (I keep it at school to grab when I'm teaching). The tromba really showed a huge difference with a 6.75C
HGrobot

Post by HGrobot »

FullPedalTrombonist wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:30 pm
HGrobot wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:55 pm

Did the valve assembly look like it could be adjusted? I’ve been thinking about getting one of those for some reason. It’s been in my amazon list for years it seems
It looked like the valve should adjust more or less the same as a standard rotor. I couldn’t get the valve cap off, and did not have the tools to try anything else on hand at the time. They tend not to appreciate me trying to take the instruments apart at work anyway :biggrin:
Adampreav

Post by Adampreav »

I’ve played coolwind it’s the best
Out of all the other plastic trombones
But there quality control is not the best so
I would try it before I buy it
bsier

Post by bsier »

I know this thread is a little bit old, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents. I don't have multiple plastic horns to compare but I do have a Jigg's P-Bone that I got for the purpose of having something to throw around should I need to go somewhere that is dangerous for instruments. And honestly after having it for a couple years, I think I'd rather just get a cheap brass trombone with a workable slide. When all you have to play on is a plastic horn's slide, you start to get discouraged because it feels like crap compared to the real thing. A low grade metal slide would still be better than the carbon fiber/plastic thing going on in the pbone.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

bsier wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:29 am When all you have to play on is a plastic horn's slide, you start to get discouraged because it feels like crap compared to the real thing.
Pretty much true. But they (Tromba and Pbone) are robust. My grandchildren love them - when I play for them or they play for me!
bsier wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:29 am A low grade metal slide would still be better than the carbon fiber/plastic thing going on in the pbone.

No carbon fiber in these instruments (much too expensive). They're all plastic (except the brass slide stockings). Bells, outer slides, and mouthpiece are ABS I believe; probably also the inner slide tubes.
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I have 3 Pbones. All play different.

White one played ok. Then the the neck pipe cracked and got ribbon epoxied. Plays better now.

Bought two for $50 each on ebay.

Pink one as it is my wife's color. Plays very nice.

Orange for the grandson. Played as good as the white one. But more responsive and a bit more dead in the sound.

Pbones may be competing with Bach for quality variation.

I do like having my white pbone in the back of my truck. Gives me some playing time when I am out and about with some time to kill.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile

Return to “Instruments”