Selmer Largo dependent valve?

LIBrassCo

Selmer Largo dependent valve?

Post by LIBrassCo »

Im always on the hunt for unique and efficient designs, and came across a post of a selmer largo someone was looking to buy. The unique part, is it has what appears to be a really well done dependent valve setup, in a way i have never seen done before. After some deliberation, i think it is a factory made horn, the only problem is i can't find any information on it anywhere. Has anyone seen this before, or know more about it?

I am a big fan of the idea of having both valves actuated by the thumb, but in practice I'm aware most often these do not go over well. This setup has me interested enough that i may try to borrow from it, particularly i think "reversing" the rotors lends itself to a more efficient linkage design.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
walldaja

Re: Selmer Largo dependent valve?

Post by walldaja »

Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
Slidemo

Post by Slidemo »

Wow, thanks for this!

Reversing the valves does indeed minimise the linkages nicely. I'm a big fan of the dependant valves, but as you say never been convinced of any double thumb set up.

With the thumb/finger dependent horn you only ever need to put one valve down at a time which is really nice once you get the hang of it. Of course trouble can ensue when you pick up and Indy and go to hold that 2nd valve down on its own.....
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

Funnily enough I've always thought either of my Largos would be awesome with two valves. They have ridiculous low registers, especially for a tenor.
bellend

Post by bellend »

Here's an old Selmer Paris brochure for their trombones, interesting that the basses are the same bore size as the Largo tenor ???

img20190422_13561363.jpg
img20190422_13533369.jpg
img20190422_13511239.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bellend on Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
bellend

Post by bellend »

Page 2
bellend

Post by bellend »

Page 3
bellend

Post by bellend »

Page 4
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

I'm so glad you found this. Very interesting indeed!
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
bellend

Post by bellend »

Glad you found it interesting!

As a kid I used to collect instrument catalogs and had this in a ring binder folder.

I have a Bolero myself which for my money is a vastly under rated horn.
Would love to get a Largo as well but can't really justify the money as I don't do any straight playing .

BellEnd

Return to “Instruments”