Yamaha YSL-352: What is it?

berntd

Yamaha YSL-352: What is it?

Post by berntd »

I cannot find any useful info on YSL-352.
When did they make those and what is it for? Student?

Regards
Bernt
Doug Elliott

Re: Yamaha YSL-352: What is it?

Post by Doug Elliott »

Student model before the 354. As far as I know they're identical, I don't know any differences.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
berntd

Post by berntd »

Ah, ok, the 354 is mentioned as intermediate. I guess that will apply to the 252 as well.

Regards
Bernt
jorymil

Post by jorymil »

I own a 352, as well as a junker 352 bell that I've been using for soldering practice. Strangely, the two aren't the same horn: they have different bell bracing and receivers. The older (I'm assuming) has the bell brace soft-soldered to the slide receiver, while the newer version has a one-piece brace/receiver setup. The older horn has nickel bell ferrules, while the newer horn's ferrules are lacquered. Both horns have this unique bracing where the brace tube fits _over_ the socket, rather than inside it. Not sure what the reasoning there was. Both horns use the triangular Reynolds-style bracing, rather than the newer cylindrical bracing.

As far as slide compatibility, it seems to be hit or miss: my 352 slide will work in newer Yamaha bells, but newer Yamaha slides will not fit inside my 352 bell receiver: the nut seems to be the same diameter and thread pitch, but the taper of the receiver is slightly different.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Just a few months ago on a thread here in TromboneChat……we figured out that the size and threading of the slide lock nut on the YSL-352 is different than the same part on the YSL-354.

Sorry, now I see that jorymil already made that observation.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
jorymil

Post by jorymil »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:21 pm Just a few months ago on a thread here in TromboneChat……we figured out that the size and threading of the slide lock nut on the YSL-352 is different than the same part on the YSL-354.

Sorry, now I see that jorymil already made that observation.
I was actually thinking they were the same, actually; just knew the tapers were different, and that newer slides didn't work on older bells.

I'd be interested in a link to that thread: if I saw it, I definitely overlooked it.

John
adrielo19

Post by adrielo19 »

The YSL-352 is the predecessor of the YSL-354. It was the first student (Yamaha calls it standard) trombone made by Yamaha alongside the professional models YSL-651, YSL-643, YSL-641 and YBL-321. It has the bracing like the Conn 48H. Yamaha made their first trombones based on the Conn trombones, through Renold Schilke as consultant. The YSL-352 is a very good horn. It has more nickel parts than the actual YSL-354. Yamaha vintage trombones are hard to get.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Yes, the 352 had the Connstellation-inspired braces. Pretty cool looking. Even some of the early 354's had those braces and other features changed a bit with early 354's. Some had soldered-on oversleeves until they settled on drawn sleeves. ALL the 352's and early 354's that I have played (lots) were great players. And came is several styles of cool cases. The world is full of them but many are trashed. Happy hunting!
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Big problem with those old Yammies is the chrome plate on the inner slide. Many had bubbles and lifting plating. The bad ones showed up pretty quick, so if it hasn't lifted by now it won't. But something to look for in a used horn.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
berntd

Post by berntd »

BGuttman wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:55 pm Big problem with those old Yammies is the chrome plate on the inner slide. Many had bubbles and lifting plating. The bad ones showed up pretty quick, so if it hasn't lifted by now it won't. But something to look for in a used horn.
But will the 354 current inner tubes fit? If so, then it should be fixable right?
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Even if they don't, the outers are cheap too. For that matter, so is the slide tenon and slide receiver part too.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

berntd wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:02 am
BGuttman wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:55 pm Big problem with those old Yammies is the chrome plate on the inner slide. Many had bubbles and lifting plating. The bad ones showed up pretty quick, so if it hasn't lifted by now it won't. But something to look for in a used horn.
But will the 354 current inner tubes fit? If so, then it should be fixable right?
I'm sure a replacement of the inner tubes would be good, but the repair will cost more than a good used 354.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
berntd

Post by berntd »

I still think the 352 is nicer than the 354. Mine is an earlier 352 and it has a lot of character with the old style braces and slide. It plays nice. The 354 I have seems run of the mill. No special character.
adrielo19

Post by adrielo19 »

berntd wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:36 pm I still think the 352 is nicer than the 354. Mine is an earlier 352 and it has a lot of character with the old style braces and slide. It plays nice. The 354 I have seems run of the mill. No special character.
I think the same. Another thing is that today's 354s are made in China.

Return to “Instruments”