Holton leadpipe/mouthpiece receiver configuration

Sdoubler

Holton leadpipe/mouthpiece receiver configuration

Post by Sdoubler »

Hey all,

Does anyone have general info on stock Holton leadpipe/receiver configuration? I'm specifically asking about the 65 (and similar models), but those who have tinkered with holton basses might have info on this as well. When I look down the mpiece receiver I see a "lip" approximately 1-1/8" down the pipe. I thought it was gunk, but it is solid and I have one mouthpiece that actually bottoms out on it (teflon tape to the rescue).

My first guess is that the horn has a separate mouthpiece receiver and leadpipe arrangement, and the leadpipe begins where the mouthpiece ends, rather than the mouthpiece inserting into the leadpipe as on most modern horns. Or is it some kind of 2-piece leadpipe? I can't find my box of leadpipes right now to compare it to a 2-piece King 2b+ pipe I have.

I know modifying some of the Holton basses is a thing - has anyone who has swapped pipes on a 181 encountered a similar configuration?

Thanks for any info. I'm also looking out for another trashed 65 or 69 that I can buy on the very cheap and dissect to get to the bottom of the issue myself.
mrdeacon

Re: Holton leadpipe/mouthpiece receiver configuration

Post by mrdeacon »

Bass pipes are single piece
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
Sdoubler

Post by Sdoubler »

Thanks - single piece attached at the very top of the tube, right?
blast

Post by blast »

Sounds like someone has rammed a badly fitting mouthpiece down there in the past. Leadpipes are easily distorted in the way you describe.

Chris
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Sdoubler wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:49 pm Thanks - single piece attached at the very top of the tube, right?
Yes, a one-piece pipe inserted into the top of the cork barrel and into the inner tube. And soldered in place.

My guess is the line you are seeing and feeling is either (1) years of accumulated grunge that blew down the mouthpiece or (2) distorted brass - as suggested by Blast.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns

Return to “Instruments”