Edwards T-396A leadpipe, actually threaded?

harrisonreed

Edwards T-396A leadpipe, actually threaded?

Post by harrisonreed »

Hi all. I had heard that the Alessi model leadpipe is actually threaded and they just silver solder around it after it is screwed in. I also heard that the solder was able to be removed on it to make the pipe interchangeable again.

Can anyone confirm if this is the case? Also, can anyone confirm if it is the case for an instrument built in 2016?

Is this something CIOMIT might be up to? I have a hunch that the standard T2 might be a better pipe but I have no way of confirming it.
paulyg

Re: Edwards T-396A leadpipe, actually threaded?

Post by paulyg »

I prefer the T2 Alessi to the T2. Extremely efficient for how much air it can take. Probably the best leadpipe out there.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Right. So is it actually threaded under the solder so that I can test that?
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Just to raise one point, I think there are multiple "Alessi" pipes made by Edwards. There was a T2 Alessi made for the original slides with the screw in receiver, and there is a recent T1 Alessi that they offer as well. I believe that the pipe in the new T-396A is a new model designed for that horn - you would have to confirm that with Christan, assuming that he feels comfortable commenting on proprietary elements of the T-396A. It would make sense to me that when designing a new horn with different alloys and a new valve, that they might tinker with the leadpipe to find one that Joe felt worked the best with the new design.

When the T-396A first came out, I tried one at Dillons in NJ. On a whim, I tried it with my slide (w/a AlessiT2 in it). I liked that better, and so did the salesperson dealing with me. Of course there are other slight differences in my Edwards slide from the Alessi model one (nickel crook for one). That trial, along with other things I've seen and read makes me believe that they are slightly different pipes, but I can't confirm that 100%.

Jim Scott
trombullion

Post by trombullion »

I had the pipe pulled from mine back in 2015. No threads, male or female, just a TON of soldering. My tech said it was the most work he's ever had from a leadpipe pull.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Interesting. No threads at all then, most likely. Thanks! That helps me

Return to “Instruments”