Kanstul trombones rip

Trevorspaulding376

Kanstul trombones rip

Post by Trevorspaulding376 »

So I think most have heard Kanstul is having some troubles keeping the doors open might be their kiss of death.

With that said I got a sweet deal on a horn as they are clearing out stock. A 1555 and man it’s a player.

Anyone else really like or appreciate their horns ? May be history pretty soon sadly.

What horns of theirs do you have like?

I have a 1555 lightweight slide , super light ! And had a removeable AK pipe and a cool looking gold lacquer with nickel silver tuning slide.

Also have the all copper bell 1550
ddickerson

Re: Kanstul trombones rip

Post by ddickerson »

That's mostly what I have. 1550 Copper bell with the slide of the 1606, and 3 mouth pipes. Well, I also have the 1606 bell and the super light weight slide that came with the 1550.

I love they way they both play.
Kanstul 1550
Kanstul 1606
Trevorspaulding376

Really want to get my hands on a 1606 at some point as the 1555 and 1550 are great. Really like the 1555 it’s fun and super light / easy to play high register.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I have heard that Kanstul has been acquired by China-based Eastman Music Company (now also the parent company of Haynes [flutes] and Shires [trombones]).

This could be good news for fans of Kanstul's designs, but probably won't salvage many jobs in Anaheim. They have apparently shut down the factory and laid off most manufacturing personnel; currently just selling off inventory. If there are future Kanstul instruments, they are unlikely to me made in California.
MrLong

Post by MrLong »

Is the showroom open to the public and was there much stock left?
Mr. Long, a.k.a. Jeff
Trevorspaulding376

Interesting I didn’t know Eastman was buying but yea I heard they are having to vacate their current building location so unlike shires that kept their Massachusetts plant doesn’t sound like that will be so with kanstul
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Kanstul and Shires made in same shop (in Hopedale?)
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

I have a Kanstul compensating euphonium that I really like. I would love to try a 1607 (.500 with F) and 1688 (TIS large bore) sometime, but I doubt that'll happen anytime soon as they weren't mainstream Kanstul products to begin with. I like their 1525 copper bell flugelhorn as well.

Also I'd imagine if the Chinese are taking over some of their more obscure models like the G bugles will stop being made, which is a real shame.
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Kanstul goes the Olds way? Too bad. Unfortunately, they weren't in the European market really. Which is a pity.
Hear, Ear !
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

JohnD wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:21 pm Kanstul goes the Olds way? Too bad. Unfortunately, they weren't in the European market really. Which is a pity.
The were sold in Sweden :good: I had the opportunity to discover the Kanstul horns some ten years ago and since I have collected the models 1555, 1606, 760, 1570 and the 1662 bass. To bad this manufacture is closing

/Tom
TheSheriff

Post by TheSheriff »

Trevorspaulding376 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:19 pm So I think most have heard Kanstul is having some troubles keeping the doors open might be their kiss of death.

With that said I got a sweet deal on a horn as they are clearing out stock. A 1555 and man it’s a player.

Anyone else really like or appreciate their horns ? May be history pretty soon sadly.

What horns of theirs do you have like?

I have a 1555 lightweight slide , super light ! And had a removeable AK pipe and a cool looking gold lacquer with nickel silver tuning slide.

Also have the all copper bell 1550
======

I have the prototype 1606 and it is an excellent trombone. It's one of those horns that I can pick up and play the snot out of it.

======
Lawler model 1
Lawler model 2
Lawler Model 3
Williams 6
Williams L
Kanstul 1606
Conn 71H
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I also heard (from folks in the industry) that Eastman was buying them. I don't think Kanstul will be going away. Eastman has the resources to properly run it. Could be interesting and perhaps good for Kanstul.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

greenbean wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:53 pm I also heard (from folks in the industry) that Eastman was buying them. I don't think Kanstul will be going away. Eastman has the resources to properly run it. Could be interesting and perhaps good for Kanstul.
If Eastman buys them it won't be like how they bought Shires. The company is gone. The name and designs are what's left.

Hopefully, the instruments will be made in the states. They had some very unique tuba and trumpet designs that no one else was making, in addition to the TIS bones.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I suppose you might be right. That is a shame.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

I've never played one, but I can't stop thinking about the latest (maybe last?) iteration of the Kanstul contrabass. So slick:

https://www.hornguys.com/products/kanst ... s-trombone

Andrew
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

TheBoneRanger wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:29 pm I've never played one, but I can't stop thinking about the latest (maybe last?) iteration of the Kanstul contrabass. So slick:

Andrew
Having put significant time in on one of these, they certainly need a lot more attention to make them ergonomic. The "Kanstul Hand Brace" is woefully inadequate for the job of holding up an instrument this heavy, as the metal strut is far too skinny. The position of the cork barrels in relation to the mouthpiece cause your wrist to be torqued slightly. Not bad for short bursts, but if you're putting in significant time, it can cause problems (and has for me). Also the instrument is not very balanced. Some weird choices (heavy valve caps? really?) cause it to be extremely back-heavy. Some of the other contras solve this weight distribution problem by adopting a "German" valve wrap, where the wraps protrude forward past the front brace, resulting in a more favorable center-of-gravity (i.e. not a foot behind your head).

Not the WORST contra ergonomically, but certainly far from adequate.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

paulyg wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:48 pm
TheBoneRanger wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:29 pm I've never played one, but I can't stop thinking about the latest (maybe last?) iteration of the Kanstul contrabass. So slick:

Andrew
Having put significant time in on one of these, they certainly need a lot more attention to make them ergonomic. The "Kanstul Hand Brace" is woefully inadequate for the job of holding up an instrument this heavy, as the metal strut is far too skinny. The position of the cork barrels in relation to the mouthpiece cause your wrist to be torqued slightly. Not bad for short bursts, but if you're putting in significant time, it can cause problems (and has for me). Also the instrument is not very balanced. Some weird choices (heavy valve caps? really?) cause it to be extremely back-heavy. Some of the other contras solve this weight distribution problem by adopting a "German" valve wrap, where the wraps protrude forward past the front brace, resulting in a more favorable center-of-gravity (i.e. not a foot behind your head).

Not the WORST contra ergonomically, but certainly far from adequate.
Good info, thanks for sharing.

I guess the detachable bell flare might help to address the balance a fraction, but it makes a heavier instrument heavier still.

Andrew
blast

Post by blast »

The Kanstul contra was a direct copy of the German J.Voight instrument. You had better blame them .

Chris
Tarkus697

Post by Tarkus697 »

Wish I had the money laying around to drop on one of their horns while they're dumping them. I borrowed a 760 from a friend for a few months for use with my wedding/events band and man, that thing was a player. Used it to record an album as well and it sang like a bird.

Here's hoping the used market will be kind when I have $ for that as well as a symphonic bore horn.
------------------------------------------
Alan W. Verostick
Strangers
Philadelphia Freedom Band
Love City Horns
smcgonigal

Post by smcgonigal »

Darn I was hoping to get a 1606 at some point.

Return to “Instruments”