Buying a New Horn

trombinstharry

Buying a New Horn

Post by trombinstharry »

Hello all, I wish you are all doing well. I currently play on my school's fairly old (~40 yrs) King Duo Gravis horn. I was able to find a new Conn 112h for only $700 and it seems to be in good condition, but I'm still waiting on more details from the seller. Assuming I go try out this horn, what should I play on it to see if I like the horn? Should I even consider this horn? What should I look out for?
Burgerbob

Re: Buying a New Horn

Post by Burgerbob »

That's a great price, assuming it's in one piece and makes noise.

Play things you are familiar with and know how they feel. Know that the instrument will feel pretty different in any case.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
trombinstharry

Post by trombinstharry »

Wait, it might be a 62hi. Whatever it is, it's an independent open wrap Conn bass
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

A 62HI is even more expensive than a 112H. So that price is even better. Assuming it's in playable shape.

Big problem could be if there is damage to the knuckles at the valves. That's expensive to fix.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

BGuttman wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:13 pm

Big problem could be if there is damage to the knuckles at the valves. That's expensive to fix.
Not $1000 to fix. At $700 almost any bass trombone is worth it.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Glog

Post by Glog »

I worked for a long time on 112H.Good tool. The only low valve is f. It should be cut half a inch.
BflatBass

Post by BflatBass »

If you get a chance to try out the new horn, take your Duo Gravis with you and play the two back to back. Take printed material with you that you work on presently either from bands you play in or etudes or exercises or whatever. If the person you're buying from doesn't want you to bring your DG then just bring the material if you can. That way you'll be playing stuff you're familiar with and that you know how it feels on your present horn.
I dream of the day that the world will be healthy enough that I can play in a live ensemble again.

Return to “Instruments”