Tuba gig bag

ssking2b

Tuba gig bag

Post by ssking2b »

Any of you tuba doublers have a suggestion for a tuba gig bag? I am playing a Jupiter JTU1110 (4 piston valves on the front). 17.5 inch bell, and 39 inches long.
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
Davidus1

Re: Tuba gig bag

Post by Davidus1 »

If you are wanting to save money the ProTec bag isn't bad. I've had one for 4 years for a large BBb horn. Dillon carries them. High end, I'd go with a Cronkite. Best wishes in your search.
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

If you don't mind top loading bags the Miraphone bags look awfully nice too but many people don't like the top loading.
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

The Miraphone is excellent. It will stand up on its own so lowering the tuba into it is easy. (Floppy top-loaders can be a pain.) The backpack straps are the best I have tried - ergonomically.

This assumes that you can lift your tuba up fairly high holding it by its upper bows without injuring yourself etc. Otherwise, a side-loader would be better.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
jpwell

Post by jpwell »

I have two Cronkite bags and wouldn’t pay what they are asking for them now. Messina is making some good bags. Miraphone bags are good too.
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

Fit is the hardest thing to ascertain when it comes to tuba gig bags. So many different sizes and shapes. Measure, check, and measure again, and see if you can find a bag to test before buying.

I have a Cronkhite for my Rudolf Meinl 3/4CC. It fits like a glove. If you decide to go Cronkhite, wait a few weeks for a sale. I just ordered another bag a few weeks ago when there was a 28 percent off sale!

Andrew
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Davidus1 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:36 pm If you don't mind top loading bags the Miraphone bags look awfully nice too but many people don't like the top loading.
I may be bad, but I stand the horn on its bell and lower the bag over it, then turn over and zip.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

First choice: high-end ($$$$$) or low end ($$)?

For high-end, just pick what looks good to you in terms of features and pay the $$$$$.

For low(er)-end: The Protec bags are good. I prefer the Gard ones. It depends, in part, on what tuba you're trying to bag, and what each vendor offers. But for your horn, there shouldn't be any difficulty in finding what you want.

I've used both a side-loading bag (for the 16.5" bell Cerveny 781 -- isomorphic to the Miraphone 186 -- I played for 20 years) and a top-loading bag (for the 19" bell Besson 981 clone I have now). I thought I wouldn't like the top-loader, but in fact I find it MUCH easier to use than the side-loader. Try to get a bag that has a rigid insert at the bell end and protects the edge of the bell. I've banged that 19" bell into door frames more than once, and the insert in the Gard bag has totally prevented any damage.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

I settled on the ProTec platinum tuba bag PL251. It is supposed to be for smaller dimension 4/4 tubas. It fits the Jupiter JTU1110 very well. It's a side opener with a hard piece protecting the bell. From Amazon it was under $250. Backpack and side straps included! So far, so good!
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com

Return to “Instruments”