Monthly payments for a trombone?

Strezzedoutz

Monthly payments for a trombone?

Post by Strezzedoutz »

So I was wondering if places had an option to a rent to own/monthly payments for professional level instruments.

I would love to eventually accuire more trombones (a large bore and a bass trombone) but can't really afford to sink that much money at a single purchase. Is this realistic or should i just be looking into used instruments. If so, how would one go down that direction in a safe and happy manner? :idk:

Thank you!
Small bore Straight: Yamaha-891z w/ Bach 7C/12C
Medium bore Trigger: Yamaha-640 w/ Bach 5GS/Yamaha 48
Trombone Stand: K&M 14995
Mute Bag: Protec Bass Mute Bag
Music Stand: First Act foldable stand
BGuttman

Re: Monthly payments for a trombone?

Post by BGuttman »

Most rentals I have seen are for student level trombones and are intended to allow a parent to pull out if the kid loses interest in the first few months. In many cases, these rental agreements pay the full retail price of the instrument (and more!) so if the kid really takes to it, the parent is better off just buying another instrument at a discount.

There are very few rentals available for professional level trombones, and most of these are for exotic instruments like contrabass trombones --sometihing used only rarely and not worth owning.

Woodwind and Brasswind sometimes offers a 10 payment option on some instruments. This might be the way to get a pro horn for the lowest cash up front.

Best way to get a decent instrument while you save money is to join a band that will lend you one. Many Brass Bands have accumulations of instruments available to members.

Otherwise, look at the used market. We have a wide variety of used pro level horns in our Classified section at good prices.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Post by HawaiiTromboneGuy »

I have PayPal credit and have successfully used it on eBay purchases. One of their promos is 24 months 0% interest on most items over $600. The other is 12 months 0% interest on items over $300.
Drew A.
Professional bum.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

I second PayPal. Only don't miss a payment or you'll get zapped with the entire interest amount.
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

Several music retailers have credit plans other than using something like Paypal. It has already been stated that most rentals are for student level instruments so that's not a realistic option.

Woodwind and Brasswind are offering 36 month financing at 0% and they have a pretty good selection of pro instruments. Royalton Music Center in Ohio offers financing on their professional grade instruments and even provide private showings. Do you have a major city near you with a good music store? You may want to check on them. Another option would be Reverb and using a credit card--though watch out for interest rates.

But saving for an instrument is also the better idea. Instruments can depreciate much quicker than other things and if you go in "hock" for a horn you have to have then decide you must have a different horn you may not get what you owe in either trade or sale. That makes buying used a good idea, let someone else take the depreciation.

But before you buy using any method you need to make sure the item you buy is exactly what you think it is. You can't beat actually play testing an instrument so try out as many as you can before you commit.

Best wishes
Dave

2020ish? Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Unless you're going to use it to make more money than you spend on it, I would say don't take on the debt just to get something you want. I would encourage you to get a used instrument. There are lots of great ones around, and unless you make a really bad deal, you can usually get back your money by selling it. You never get back your money from a new horn, especially if you have financed it. Wait for a situation when you have more money for buying stuff you want.
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

hyperbolica wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:36 pm Unless you're going to use it to make more money than you spend on it, I would say don't take on the debt just to get something you want. I would encourage you to get a used instrument. There are lots of great ones around, and unless you make a really bad deal, you can usually get back your money by selling it. You never get back your money from a new horn, especially if you have financed it. Wait for a situation when you have more money for buying stuff you want.
:good: :good:
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
Bach42t

Post by Bach42t »

I could never advocate going into debt for a trombone. It's just better practice to save up and buy a horn free and clear. Like some of the earlier posters mentioned, miss a payment and you're on the hook for all interest.
ExZacLee

Post by ExZacLee »

It's usually better practice to save up and buy anything free and clear. Houses, cars, horses, a 1961 Grand Vin de Château Latour...

Most music stores around here do rent-to-own on student instruments only, although cheaper pro stuff (i.e., used) can be negotiated to a similar contract under certain circumstances. Most top-line pro stuff is only profitable on a rental basis at a rate much higher than the payments on the loan would be. Margins on pro stuff is tight.

When I worked at a music store, pro horns were usually on a 36 month (max) at a 14.99% rate. Not bad for an unsecured credit loan. It's not a rental - you are on the hook for the whole baguette. For a horn costing $3600, you end up with payments that are $121.31/mo and you pay $867 in interest over that time - if you can do the payments over one year, you save about $300 in interest. If you want to be a musician, now is the time to start being smart with your money. Usually, with an unsecured consumer loan through a business, if you miss payments and don't make good on them in a reasonable amount of time, they collect the horn and if they can't find the horn or if it's not enough into the payment schedule for them to reasonably profit or break even on a re-sale, they may even file a small claim.

if you're taking out a loan, it's usually a better deal to do it through your bank. Don't put it on a credit card unless you have a really good rate and if you're young, I'm guessing the rate you have is really bad. If I need equipment I usually take out a loan with my bank - even though I can afford it under most circumstances, I don't want to take so much out of my bank account when the next roof or car repair could be right around the corner. It's not an "investment" in the normal sense of the word - it's most likely only paying you back if you make your rent money with it. You're most likely not going to get even half of what you paid out of it unless it's a really desirable vintage horn (Williams) or a pristine example of a great boutique horn - and even then resale is tough because you are at the whims of a market with few players and strange, often unpredictable timing.

If you don't absolutely need the horn right now, save up a good chunk of change first. If you decide to get a loan, a good sized down payment will defray much of the interest. A $1000 loan is a heck of a lot easier to pay off than a $4000 loan.

P.S. Good vintage horns are every bit as good as the shiny stuff. I love my shires, but I do the majority of my playing on a Williams, and I'd still be playing my '53 2B if I didn't just wear it plum out.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

I wish there was a brass instrument store equivalent to Sweetwater. Phenomenal customer service, comprehensive selection and stock, and awesome 0% financing plans (up to 48 months). Amazing if you use electronic music gear, but not very useful most of the time as a brass player.
Bach42t

Post by Bach42t »

Finetales wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:19 am I wish there was a brass instrument store equivalent to Sweetwater. Phenomenal customer service, comprehensive selection and stock, and awesome 0% financing plans (up to 48 months). Amazing if you use electronic music gear, but not very useful most of the time as a brass player.
I have purchased a few things from Sweetwater over the years, yes they have excellent customer service along with their trinket bag of candy included in the box, a nice gesture. My only gripe is they don't really work with you much on pricing, as in what you see is what you pay. For large ticket items such as synthesizers, I always go elsewhere to find better deals. Brass instruments are obviously different species, and do require a more selective process but certainly something along the lines of a payment plan would be great.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Long and McQuade, the Canadian chain, has long been known for financing nearly anyone for anything. When I was 19, my bandmates and I financed a PA. 45 years later, I currently owe a few bucks on a new 88H I bought a month ago.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

Bach42t wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:13 amMy only gripe is they don't really work with you much on pricing, as in what you see is what you pay.
If you just use the site yes, but if you personally call your rep they can get you better deals. Everyone I've talked to who regularly uses Sweetwater has had the same experience (which is how I knew to call my rep in the first place). Last time I bought a synth I called my rep and I got a FAR better deal than I could have anywhere else.

But yes, even without the candy or rep deals a brass equivalent would be very welcome.
Bach42t

Post by Bach42t »

Finetales wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:22 pm
Bach42t wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:13 amMy only gripe is they don't really work with you much on pricing, as in what you see is what you pay.
If you just use the site yes, but if you personally call your rep they can get you better deals. Everyone I've talked to who regularly uses Sweetwater has had the same experience (which is how I knew to call my rep in the first place). Last time I bought a synth I called my rep and I got a FAR better deal than I could have anywhere else.

But yes, even without the candy or rep deals a brass equivalent would be very welcome.
Well I guess it doesn't hurt to try calling them to get a good price on a Moog One :good: :biggrin:
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Woodwind Brasswind has a deal where if you get one of their credit cards they will finance for 36 months at 0% interest. https://www.wwbw.com/pages/financing?so ... gLaQvD_BwE
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King

Return to “Instruments”