Edwards/Getzen large tenor bells

LarryPrestonRoberson

Edwards/Getzen large tenor bells

Post by LarryPrestonRoberson »

I’m seeking information about Edwards/Getzen large tenor bells. I’m particularly interested in the tapers. The Edwards Website gives information on the various treatments, Bell soldering, and gauges available. There is even information in the FAQ on how to decipher bell material based the numbers. But nothing is mentioned about tapers that I can see.

I know the Getzen Custom Reserve 4047DS and 4147IB (Bousfield) bells are made on the “B” mandrel which is modeled after the Bach 42 taper. And it seems likely that the Custom Series (3047 variants) are modeled after the Conn 8H (88H) in regards to slide design and bell taper. But what about the Edwards large tenor bells. Do they all typically share a common taper? And if so, which design philosophy—Conn or Bach style? Is there an Edwards bell that is similar to the bell Joe Alessi model? I suppose it would also be useful to know about the Getzen Eterna line, specifically the 1047F models.

Thanks for any information—that mentioned and any additional. “Inquiring minds want to know.”
Bonearzt

Re: Edwards/Getzen large tenor bells

Post by Bonearzt »

Have you tried contacting Edwards? They are usually pretty responsive to such questions that aren't covered in the FAQs

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Well, I am not sure about the newer models (custom reserve, Bousfield, Alessi), but ALL of the Edwards numbered bells from the 8" to the 9" medium and large bore tenors share(d) the same mandrel as did all medium and large bore Getzens developed in that time (725, 747, 1047, 3047). You can figure out the pattern in the numbers as well, it is just a full factorial DOE with all the correct variables. For example a 319 and a 321 are identical except red and yellow brass (with room for rose in between).

I do not remember off the top of my head, but I was aware of the Eterna and Custom line bell numbers in the Edwards listing. Wouldn't be too hard to figure out, but I do not recall the exact features off the top of my head. You can see soldered or unsoldered on the rims, I think they are all one of the two 'medium' gauge materials.

For the longest time Joe played a 321CF, and I would ask if that was the starting point for his new horn. Maybe he changed it up, but I do not know and do not remember reading any details about that.

Cheers,
Andy
chromebone

Post by chromebone »

The Bousfield horn is supposed to be patterned after the 88H, so I would think it's not a Bach taper.

Were the original Edwards bells based on the bells Steve Shires was making at Osmun? I thought I had heard that somewhere years ago. He was involved in the original development of the Edwards horns.

Return to “Instruments”