Getting a nice patina

SwissTbone

Getting a nice patina

Post by SwissTbone »

Hi

All of the horns I own at the moment are raw brass. Some look great with a nice regular patina, others not...

I plan on cleaning those not so good looking horns and then wait for them developping a regular patina.

What can I do to get the patina faster? Puttimg them in....?
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
Burgerbob

Re: Getting a nice patina

Post by Burgerbob »

I wish I knew. I had a 6H with a really beautiful patina, with black inside the bell. I'd love to have another bell like that!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Maybe Bruce will chime in, but I swear reading a suggestion about using ammonia to produce a patina. Not to brush it on, but to allow the ammonia gas to do the work.
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

If you use ammonia make sure you are in a well ventilated area, your lungs don't need a nice black patina.
Dave

2020ish? Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
Oslide

Post by Oslide »

norbie2018 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:30 pm Maybe Bruce will chime in, but I swear reading a suggestion about using ammonia to produce a patina. Not to brush it on, but to allow the ammonia gas to do the work.
My memory may be completely wrong, but I believe to have read that ammonia destroys brass...?
Ceterum censeo to fetch All of TTF
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Oslide wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:50 pm
norbie2018 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:30 pm Maybe Bruce will chime in, but I swear reading a suggestion about using ammonia to produce a patina. Not to brush it on, but to allow the ammonia gas to do the work.
My memory may be completely wrong, but I believe to have read that ammonia destroys brass...?
‘Yes, something about dezincification at grain boundaries.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

One recipe was mashed boiled eggs in a plastic trash bag with the bell inside the bag.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

hyperbolica wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:35 pm One recipe was mashed boiled eggs in a plastic trash bag with the bell inside the bag.
Sounds ugly.... for how much time?
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
MBurner

Post by MBurner »

You might laugh, but I’ve had good luck with sweat. What I’ve done is go for a run (I sweat a lot), and then rub the sweat into the raw brass. Make sure you do it thoroughly, or else you’ll get green spots.
Good luck!
Carolus

Post by Carolus »

Isn't the point with patina that it is authentic? Just let it develop!
davebb

Post by davebb »

cozzagiorgi wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:31 pm
hyperbolica wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:35 pm One recipe was mashed boiled eggs in a plastic trash bag with the bell inside the bag.
Sounds ugly.... for how much time?
I haven’t done it with a trombone but it worked overnight on some shiny brass tacks that I wanted to make a duller shade.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

https://www.sciencecompany.com/-W160.aspx

Better living through chemistry.

Cheers,
Andy
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

elmsandr wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:59 am https://www.sciencecompany.com/-W160.aspx

Better living through chemistry.

Cheers,
Andy
:P
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

There's a chemical in small proportions in Palmolive dish soap that is used by artists who work with brass to create a patina on their pieces. My skin is not acid at all, to the point where I polish my instruments at the contact points rather than making them oxydise, so a natural patina just takes years to develop on my instruments. So I rubbed some Palmolive mixed with just a little bit of water on the surface of the bells with a cloth and sponge, and it creates a patina within minutes. That patina has been looking consistent and doesn't seem to have evolved since (i did it to my modern tenor bell at least 4 or 5 years ago).
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
PaKETaZ

Post by PaKETaZ »

Really interesting Maximilien: wish one exactly please? I mean: wish bottle and/or wish Palmolive formula?
Here in France, I should be able to find it!
—Julien—
Courtois Xtreme AC430TL - XO 1634LT
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

I'm not sure if the European version has that chemical in it though. I remember trying various dish detergents in the Netherlands without getting the effect I had with the North American Palmolive. The source I had found that suggested using Palmolive specified that the sulfur salts were the ingredients causing the patina and one in particular had the most effect, which if I recall correctly was sodium bisulfite.

It gives a relatively bright patina - not dark brown, closer to the colour of the brass but matte. That's the first bell I used it on. Of course it's at your own risk, I'm no chemist.

Maximilien Brisson
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Those horns have exactly the look I am looking for! Will look out for Palmolive :-)
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

LeTromboniste wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:54 am There's a chemical in small proportions in Palmolive dish soap that is used by artists who work with brass to create a patina on their pieces. My skin is not acid at all, to the point where I polish my instruments at the contact points rather than making them oxydise, so a natural patina just takes years to develop on my instruments. So I rubbed some Palmolive mixed with just a little bit of water on the surface of the bells with a cloth and sponge, and it creates a patina within minutes. That patina has been looking consistent and doesn't seem to have evolved since (i did it to my modern tenor bell at least 4 or 5 years ago).
Ha! Glad I'm not the only one.

I've been letting the patina on my bass go wild for a year and a half and it essentially looks the same as when I purchased the horn.

I might have to try this on my Rath. I'm not at all a fan of the uneven patina that it developed after letting a friend borrow it.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
PaKETaZ

Post by PaKETaZ »

That’s exactly what I’m looking for too! Thanks for sharing Maximilien.
I have to find something with sulfur salt here in France now...

However, my 10H bell is coprion, wich should give a nice reddish look.
—Julien—
Courtois Xtreme AC430TL - XO 1634LT
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

I should add for those who will try this, make sure you don't pour the Palmolive directly on the instrument. I would put a large amount in a bowl with just a little bit of water mixed in (out should still be thick) and use a cloth to rub it in. The reaction happens fairly quickly, you should make sure to keep the cloth moving and rubbing everywhere and not let the soap stay still anywhere or else you will see the bubbles and droplets shape in the patina. Best to rince away fairly often and start again to best control the result.
PaKETaZ wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:15 am That’s exactly what I’m looking for too! Thanks for sharing Maximilien.
I have to find something with sulfur salt here in France now...

However, my 10H bell is coprion, wich should give a nice reddish look.
I'm not sure the same chemicals will give the same type of patina on a pure copper bell. You might want to look up patina recipes for copper.
Maximilien Brisson
Ted

Post by Ted »

Return to “Instruments”