Value Elkhart Conn 88H

SwissTbone

Value Elkhart Conn 88H

Post by SwissTbone »

Hi

A local guitar shop is selling an Elkhart Conn 88H from 1970. Serial number N***.

Very good condition, no slide wear, lacquer looks good except at the contact points. Valve strings look funny, but the valve works well.

They are asking something around 2500 USD wich seems overpriced to me. What do you guys think?

Thanks!
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
hyperbolica

Re: Value Elkhart Conn 88H

Post by hyperbolica »

Yeah, that's more than I'd pay for it, but you've got to play it before you can really say. Retail is a little different from the general used market. Good playing Elkies in decent shape go for about $1800 - 2000 plus or minus. Offer him $2000 if you like it. He should accept that.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

hyperbolica wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:44 am Yeah, that's more than I'd pay for it, but you've got to play it before you can really say. Retail is a little different from the general used market. Good playing Elkies in decent shape go for about $1800 - 2000 plus or minus. Offer him $2000 if you like it. He should accept that.
Agree.

If it's minty though (except for contact points) and it's the best darn 88h you've ever played than $2500 is still a fair price, though on the high side of things.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
sungfw

Post by sungfw »

Am I correct in thinking that you're located somewhere in Europe? (Germany?)

$2500 US does seem high for an Elkhart 88H, but, assuming that's inclusive of VAT (and that Germany charges VAT on used instruments), that puts the price ex-VAT in the $2000 range. Plus, it's local so you can play test it.

You might be able to find something in the $1800-2000 range on Ebay or from a private seller, but I suspect it would end up costing you at least as much once you factor in VAT, import duty, international shipping and insurance.

Can't hurt to see if they'll take less, though.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

I am in Switzerland, so no VAT on used horns. Funny stuff is they dont let me play it in the shop. They want me to buy it and return if I dont like.... price didnt come down unfortunately, I think I will pass...
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

I would pass too under those circumstances. Its way overpriced anyway and only discovering it plays better than anything youve got or played before would make it justifiable... cant find that out if you cant play it! - imagine going into a music shop and them saying you cant play it before you buy it, thats nonesense.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

cozzagiorgi wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:13 pm I am in Switzerland, so no VAT on used horns. Funny stuff is they dont let me play it in the shop. They want me to buy it and return if I dont like.... price didnt come down unfortunately, I think I will pass...
That is bizarre. It is a guitar shop! Aren't they used to... loud noises?...
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

They are certainly used to loud noises, but maybe not to MUSIC?
:-)
Leanit

Post by Leanit »

That's a lot of money, but I know a guy that Mark Lawrence is planning to kill in order to take his Elkhart 88H. A good one is a good one. I'm still negotiating my hitman prices with Mark.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

I wpuld pay that price if it was an excellent horn. But without paying it.... nope.
Trav1s

Post by Trav1s »

For that money you can get a new Latsch SL -240 which I find to be all I like about a vintage Conn horn made with quality German design and construction, and great Rotax valve.

http://www.lätzsch-shop.com/en/web-shop ... mbone.html
Last edited by Trav1s on Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travis B.
Trombone player since 1986 and Conn-vert since 2006
1961 24H - LT101/C+/D2
1969 79H - LT102/D/D4
1972 80H - Unicorn
Benge 165F LT102/F+/G8
Slidemo

Post by Slidemo »

I have an " N Series" and it's a sweet horn.

It's got Yellow brass slide tubes which isn't always the case with Elkhart 88's. Could be one of the reasons I like it so much.

Like everyone has said, try and play it first, 2500 might be a saving in the long run.....
afugate

Post by afugate »

cozzagiorgi wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:48 am They are certainly used to loud noises, but maybe not to MUSIC?
:-)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

--Andy in OKC

Return to “Instruments”