Buying a horn after a long hiatus

sirisobhakya

Buying a horn after a long hiatus

Post by sirisobhakya »

The concern here is not that you cannot see or test-play the instrument, rather you can try but has no ability to do so. The ideal sound in the head is there, the techniques is there, the breathing basic is there, but it is your embouchure that is not there anymore. And you cannot bring your friend, or teacher, or whoever to try it for you either, since his/her sound is not your sound, and you don't feel the response too.

I have been there and done that: after 8 years hiatus my chops is all but gone, and did not fully come back until around 2-3 month after I bought the horn. I didn't even dare to try it in front of the shopkeeper. In retrospective, I consider myself extremely lucky that I got this horn, with the sound and response just right for me.

But if I am going to recommend someone being in the same situation in the future, what should I say?
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
paulyg

Re: Buying a horn after a long hiatus

Post by paulyg »

I'd look for mechanical things- slide, valves, tuning slides, dents in obvious places, ect. In addition, even after a significant period of time off the horn, the middle register can be telling. That's something that's really up to the horn. Playing in the staff might be an ugly reminder of how far you've fallen, but it can also tell you lots about the horn.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Get a Yamaha - anything - just make sure the slide is good. The chance of getting a good playable horn is close to 100%
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

Last edited by Schlitz on Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Go with them and try out the horn too. Like others have said if they're buying essentially blind you can't go wrong with a Yamaha. Getzen or Courtious are two other brands that offer fantastic stock setups but I'm not sure how common those are where you're from.

Have them stay away from custom fitted horns. They might end up with a setup they hate 2 months down the line when they get their chops back.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Being a first horn, you're probably not going to get it perfect the first time. So as others have said, get something that works. Worry about dialing it in later.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

hyperbolica wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:53 am Being a first horn, you're probably not going to get it perfect the first time. So as others have said, get something that works. Worry about dialing it in later.
This. It's so true ALWAYS but everybody wants to pick the perfect horn the first time and that only starts Gear Acquisition Syndrome. I bought a YSL-354 ($100) just to get used to a .500 bore and ended up loving it and using it professionally for many years. I still use it sometimes for outdoor gigs. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a quality horn that plays well. It's just a trombone... Make sure the ONE moving part works and you know a Yamaha will play decently. And I'm sure you can find one in Thailand.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

Doug Elliott wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:38 am
hyperbolica wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:53 am Being a first horn, you're probably not going to get it perfect the first time. So as others have said, get something that works. Worry about dialing it in later.
This. It's so true ALWAYS but everybody wants to pick the perfect horn the first time and that only starts Gear Acquisition Syndrome. I bought a YSL-354 ($100) just to get used to a .500 bore and ended up loving it and using it professionally for many years. I still use it sometimes for outdoor gigs. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a quality horn that plays well. It's just a trombone... Make sure the ONE moving part works and you know a Yamaha will play decently. And I'm sure you can find one in Thailand.
Such a perfect example of it's the player, not the horn! I'm pretty sure if you handed Joe Alessi a Bundy student trombone, he'd still sound like Joe Alessi! (Would certainly be fun to try out!)
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass

Return to “Instruments”