1st trombone

AwesomeDad

1st trombone

Post by AwesomeDad »

Ok first post so a little background.
I’m primarily a low brass guy (tuba) I also play flugel, trumpet and looking to pick up a Euphonium. So why am I hear you may ask. One of my children is going to start trombone and I am clueless on what to look for in a horn. Really just want a quality Insturment that will last her several years until we have established that she is going to stick with it long enough for an upgrade. This will be our last time down this road as 4 of our 6 play and have stayed with it thus far. She will be our 5th musician. My only caveat is no stencil horns please. Looking forward to your input...

JJ
BGuttman

Re: 1st trombone

Post by BGuttman »

You could go with any of the Big Three: Conn Director, King 606, or Yamaha 354. The Yamaha is particularly well built and can be used as a professional horn.

Others? Holton TR-600, Bach TB-300,; Jupiter, Getzen, or Kanstul (don't know the number).

There are a couple of horns made for dealers that are better than the average: Packer-Rath, Wessex Tubas.

If she has short arms and has problems reaching 6th or 7th position, look at the Yamaha 350C (reverse-acting trigger) or one of the smaller bore F-attachment horns like the Kanstul 760 or Yamaha 356.

A good used pro horn may work well also. Consider an Olds Recording/Super/Special, Conn 6H (and several other models), King 2B/2B+/3B, Holton 65/67/69, Martin Imperial/Committee/Urbie Green, Yamaha 651/653/691/697 (and others).

Good luck to you and your daughter.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I can't add a thing to what Bruce said.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Kingfan wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:34 pm I can't add a thing to what Bruce said.
I can.

If you buy used, and maybe even if new, see if you can find a trombone player to check the slide. A sticky slide is more frustrating to a beginner than to an accomplished player, and will definitely limit their progress, but it may not be obvious to a newbie that it is bad.

If not, at least do the drop tests.
AwesomeDad

Post by AwesomeDad »

BGuttman wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:11 pm You could go with any of the Big Three: Conn Director, King 606, or Yamaha 354. The Yamaha is particularly well built and can be used as a professional horn.

Others? Holton TR-600, Bach TB-300,; Jupiter, Getzen, or Kanstul (don't know the number).

There are a couple of horns made for dealers that are better than the average: Packer-Rath, Wessex Tubas.

If she has short arms and has problems reaching 6th or 7th position, look at the Yamaha 350C (reverse-acting trigger) or one of the smaller bore F-attachment horns like the Kanstul 760 or Yamaha 356.

A good used pro horn may work well also. Consider an Olds Recording/Super/Special, Conn 6H (and several other models), King 2B/2B+/3B, Holton 65/67/69, Martin Imperial/Committee/Urbie Green, Yamaha 651/653/691/697 (and others).

Good luck to you and your daughter.
Lots of good information, I believe the Kanstul 750 is the model you were thinking of. I guess I have to ask does she need a trigger starting out?

JJ
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

No need for a trigger starting out, IMHO. Kids started on a student tenor, or at least in my day they did. If she sticks with it, in a few years upgrade to a higher level horn with an F attachment and keep the beginner horn for marching, pep band, etc.
Greg Songer
AwesomeDad

Post by AwesomeDad »

Kingfan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:15 am No need for a trigger starting out, IMHO. Kids started on a student tenor, or at least in my day they did. If she sticks with it, in a few years upgrade to a higher level horn with an F attachment and keep the beginner horn for marching, pep band, etc.
Thats kind of what I thought, Also browsing used horns man there are some in rough shape. Maybe it was just me but I knew if I damaged my horn I wasn't getting a replacement. Really appreciate all the advice...

JJ
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

One more thought.

There is an 81% chance your daughter is right handed. If not, that changes the choices a bit. (not everybody agrees, this can be controversial)
AwesomeDad

Post by AwesomeDad »

timothy42b wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:07 am One more thought.

There is an 81% chance your daughter is right handed. If not, that changes the choices a bit. (not everybody agrees, this can be controversial)
Currently She is mostly right handed she slips to south paw on occasion so we shall see...

JJ
AwesomeDad

Post by AwesomeDad »

I know it wasn’t on the list but found a good price on a conn selmer Prelude with trigger...same price as the Kanstul 750 I found. These just seem to be in better condition than the others I’ve found in my budget.

JJ
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

If it question should arise at some point, the Yamaha 200 and the Yamaha 354 are the same horn. The 200 is sold (new) only through full service music stores (not online) and it comes with a nicer case (not better, just a little nicer). It's something Yamaha does to help out its 'full-service' dealer base.

I just took a peek at ebay. There are twenty 200s for sale and over one hundred 354s (I quit counting). For 350-400 you can get a real nice one. And for $600 or so you can get mint (like new, little or no signs of use).
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I think a sound argument can be made that an F att is particularly well-suited to a youngster with a limited reach.
Specialk3700

Post by Specialk3700 »

timothy42b wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:07 am One more thought.

As a lefty myself I can tell you can definitely just play like everyone else. Us left handed people tend to be better at using both hands.
Engineering student with a trombone problem.
Edwards B454
Shires Bravo
Yamaha 354
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Specialk3700 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:20 pm As a lefty myself I can tell you can definitely just play like everyone else. Us left handed people tend to be better at using both hands.
Ooo, sinister...
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Lol, it's funny because sinister means left handed in latin. Very nice, high five!
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Try your local Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace if you have access. In my area have my eye on a used Yam student horn that is going for - wait for it - $60. There is a vintage King 3B-F for $500, a horn she can play forever.
Greg Songer
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Bach5G wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:17 pm I think a sound argument can be made that an F att is particularly well-suited to a youngster with a limited reach.
:good:
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

DEG shows they make an extention gadget that fits on the slide and would be good until the kid grows into the horn, but nobody seems to have one in stock.
Greg Songer
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

They’re awkward though at best.
Jeannie Little did the warmup today. She mentioned that she could still not reach 7th and6th was difficult, but that’s what a trigger is for.

Return to “Instruments”