Edwards history

whitbey

Edwards history

Post by whitbey »

It was interesting reading Greenhoe history. I play mostly Edwards horns and have heard a lot of things.
I remember seeing a New Sousa band concert around 1990 that a trombonist had an Edwards bell with a Thayer valve and a Bach slide. Seems it was before Edwards made slides or maybe they just made them fit.
My bells had the fishplate on them that I have removed. My newer CR valve was too close for them.
Christian has been there for a long time. I bought my second Edwards and others from him. My first horn I got from the bass trombonist Dave Taylor around 1994.
I like how as nice as the Edwards horns are, they seem to be improving all the time.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
harrisonreed

Re: Edwards history

Post by harrisonreed »

Well, since this is a thread about Edwards and it's history, I'd like to point out the the poor guy's name is Christan. Christan Griego. Everybody, not just this post, gets it wrong, and he is such a nice guy and has innovated about as much as *gasp* Larry Minick that we owe it to him to get his name right. Ironically I compare him to Minick, who suffered the same fate. I've probably spelled it Minnick multiple times, and the old BIS jackets have Christian Lindberg's horn listed as Conn 88 with Minnich bell.

I think Edwards really took off on the design side when Christan joined their team. I believe Steve Shires worked there as well. Edwards really has pushed the envelope with modular horns, leadpipes, and now the harmonic brace, which is about as influential to the blow of a horn as all the other innovations, but in a much smaller, easily configured package (admittedly creating issues with TOO MUCH choice).
Kbiggs

Re: Edwards history

Post by Kbiggs »

IIRC, Steve Shires made the original designs for the Edwards instruments, back when they wanted to design a horn around the axial flow (Thayer) valve, as opposed to modifying an existing instrument. I don’t know whether he was an employee, a consultant, or a principal of the company, etc., although that’s not very relevant. He left after a few years to form his own company. There may have been some time between Steve Shires’ departure and Christan’s joining the company.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)

Return to “Instruments”