Holton 181 thoughts?

aaronhynds

Holton 181 thoughts?

Post by aaronhynds »

Hello, all!

I currently own a Yamaha 613H, and I have the opportunity to do a straight trade for a Holton TR181 in similar condition and age. Although the Yamaha plays a little better right now (due to being used to it), the TR181 does play well, and it has a few features that I like better than the Yamaha. For one, I have a large neck, and the Holton feels a little more comfortable than the Yamaha with its out-sized valves. And since the tubing is all on the left side of the bell section on the Holton, it doesn't feel as closed in. I think the Yamaha valves are a little more free-blowing, but the Holton still performs well.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is--does this seem like a fair trade? I'm a tuba player first and foremost, so I'm not as well-versed in the world of bass trombone models.
Burgerbob

Re: Holton 181 thoughts?

Post by Burgerbob »

Personally, I would stick with the Yamaha all day over the 181.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I've seen people try to get ridiculous prices for 613hs. And I don't really like 181s. I'd say you're giving more than you're getting. It's really up to you and the 181 owner, though. If you think you'll like the other horn better, then it's a good deal for you. Of course it depends on condition as well. You might do better to sell the 613h outright.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I don’t think you would be doing too badly. Assuming you like the 181. The Yamaha is probably worth a bit more. Maybe a small amount of cash or extra mouthpieces could be worked into the deal.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

I really have no expertise here, and no experience with the Yamaha. Years and years (and years) ago I had a TR-181 and loved some things about it. But I didn't love the ergonomics. I'd just advise that you be sure you'll be comfortable with it. That 10" bell was great as a sound projector, but I always felt that the horn was heavy and somewhat cumbersome. "Pleasant to play" is not a description I'd use for it. However, nowadays with various sorts of hand braces and such, it might be more manageable. But I think that if you don't KNOW you'll be totally comfortable playing it for an extended period, think again.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

If you really dig Holtons I think you'll be happy. Objectively though... the Yamaha is a better horn and worth a few hundred more.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Contrary to the post above, I have found the Holtons doubles (180 and 181) to be somewhat light in weight and comfortable to hold.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

I like Yamahas and the Holtons. The Holtons I've had have been on the heavy side.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Might be an issue of build time. The one I had was 1994.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
WeekendWailer

Post by WeekendWailer »

I've never played the Yamaha so I can't give a recommendation. I will say that my 181 has a decent amount of weight to it. It's an early one from the late 70s and has a lot of bracing. There are 11 braces between the various attachments and bell section.
aaronhynds

Post by aaronhynds »

Thanks for all of the comments, folks! I was actually able to try both horns side by side for awhile, and I'm going to stick with my Yamaha. I'm more used to the horn, which definitely was a factor, but I noticed that the Yamaha was a little bit tighter and focused in the low range. I'm a tuba player, so if I want a broad, diffuse low range, I'll just pick up one of those instead!
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Every time I hear about a Holton 181, I remember that massively long thread from TTF where the dad was telling that story about the stolen Holton 181, that the school was trying to steal from his son, but that the forum deduced was probably stolen from somewhere else.

So if I see one, I can't help but think that it's stolen.
FeelMyRath

Post by FeelMyRath »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:09 am Every time I hear about a Holton 181, I remember that massively long thread from TTF where the dad was telling that story about the stolen Holton 181, that the school was trying to steal from his son, but that the forum deduced was probably stolen from somewhere else.

That was a 180 iirc
Making the world better, one note at a time

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I haven’t looked but, in the old forum, there were a number of threads about the 181 including a number of posts from the late Mike Suter about what kept the 181 from being a great bass trombone.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

FeelMyRath wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:56 am
harrisonreed wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:09 am Every time I hear about a Holton 181, I remember that massively long thread from TTF where the dad was telling that story about the stolen Holton 181, that the school was trying to steal from his son, but that the forum deduced was probably stolen from somewhere else.

That was a 180 iirc
Oh, whups. I think you're right!
Backbone

Post by Backbone »

Bach5G wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:13 pm I haven’t looked but, in the old forum, there were a number of threads about the 181 including a number of posts from the late Mike Suter about what kept the 181 from being a great bass trombone.
There was also a thread or two in which forum member blast detailed how to make the 181 much better.

Return to “Instruments”