BACH 42 Custom

rmb796

BACH 42 Custom

Post by rmb796 »

Has anyone played the "Jay Friedman" Bach Model LT42BOFG?
I currently play a Bach 42G (with light weight gold bell and 50 slide). I like the horn a lot but I am not to fond of the Thayer Valve.

Thanks for any review of this "42custom" horn.
Bonearzt

Re: BACH 42 Custom

Post by Bonearzt »

IMHO, the axial flow valves are WAY too much valve for a tenor!
Unless you're a complete monster like Mr.Friedman or similar!!

They are just way too free blowing for tenors, good for some bass work.

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
castrubone

Post by castrubone »

I've tried a couple of them at music shops/trade shows. They're nice horns. Easy to play, good feedback, warm sound, crispy articulations. Reminds me of an 88H somehow but with less color and density to the tone.

Probably my favorite version of the 42 on the market. I'm partial to Conn's, but if I played Bach I'd probably play the LT42BOFG. Much improved version of the LT42BO.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Good horns.

The axial is fine if the rest of the horn is balanced to it, IMO. On that specific horn the balance point is the mouthpiece... If you play it with an Alessi 1.5 it'll feel like a full on bass.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
rmb796

Post by rmb796 »

Thanks for your input. I' m going to try and find a shop that has one to play soon. Played a Schilke ST21 the other day and I really liked it. I wonder way more trombone players don't use Schilkes?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

FWIW Jay himself uses a Greenhoe valve on his a lot of the time.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
haydens

Post by haydens »

rmb796 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:28 pm Thanks for your input. I' m going to try and find a shop that has one to play soon. Played a Schilke ST21 the other day and I really liked it. I wonder way more trombone players don't use Schilkes?
I've been playing the ST21 for about 4 years and it's a pretty solid horn, though it gets a little stuffy for me above high Db and I've had some issues with a misaligned rotor (eventually had Ron Partch completely rebuild that to remove dead space). The slide also seems to need to be realigned more often than any of my other horns...but it might just be bad luck on my part!
Slidemo

Post by Slidemo »

I would urge you to try a standard 42 slide, you might find you like the Thayer a little more with that. Plenty of folks like the standard 42T and that particular Thayer is one of the best playing IMO.

In saying that you have one of the most open large bore configurations available especially with the bass slide so maybe you crave a little more resistance.

It also might be worth checking the valve ports line up and there are no leakages. Both those things with have a detrimental effect on how the valve register responds. Thayer's are pretty notorious for leaking and have much less compression than a standard rotor.

Hamo.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

rmb796 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:28 pm Thanks for your input. I' m going to try and find a shop that has one to play soon. Played a Schilke ST21 the other day and I really liked it. I wonder way more trombone players don't use Schilkes?
Schilkes just haven't received the air play to gain a following.
Somewhat underrated like Kanstul, Benge, King, etc....

Also, Schilke is still relatively new to the trombone market, and the earlier ones weren't that great of a horn, so the reputation sticks for quite a while.

Might change now that they are producing the Greenhoe horns, although not the same as the original!!

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

Return to “Instruments”