Conn 88H “T” bells vs. standard?

Bach5G

Conn 88H “T” bells vs. standard?

Post by Bach5G »

Opinions, characteristics, preferences?
hyperbolica

Re: Conn 88H “T” bells vs. standard?

Post by hyperbolica »

I've owned an Elkhart 88h since junior high school. Love everything about that horn. So in ~2005 I bought an 8hT. Again, a beautiful horn that really plays. Then one time I bought an 8h with the thick bell. It was just not as lively, harder to drive. It just felt like a normal trombone, without the Elkhart magic that the thin bells recreate to some extent.
NordicTrombone

Post by NordicTrombone »

I prefer the standard. A bit more stable and can handle louder dynamics better. I also find the sound to be bigger but maybe a bit less flexible.
castrubone

Post by castrubone »

I'm a big fan of the standard weight bells (preferably in yellow brass or silver!). They have a much richer/lively sound, more projection and hold up at higher volumes better in the orchestra. Really great horns. The thin bells do have a quicker response, but the response on the standard bell is already very quick so it's not much of a trade off.

There's also a negligible difference between open and standard wrap. The CL2000 valve, however, really opens up the horn and IMO probably balances best with a T rose bell. Try 'em all and pick what feels/sounds like YOU! The Conn 88H is just fundamentally a great design (hence it's countless imitators and lasting power) so you really can't go wrong.
Bach42t

Post by Bach42t »

I'm interesting in the sterling silver version, certainly a sight to behold. I LOVED being on the playing end of my King 4B Silver Sonic years ago. It was so warm and sweet and it was a wonderful solo sound. I can imagine the SGX version has the design elements of the 88H matched to the sterling bell would be a great addition.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

88HT all the way

Return to “Instruments”