Yamaha YSL-354 vs Yamaha YSL-200AD

TBoneHalfNote

Yamaha YSL-354 vs Yamaha YSL-200AD

Post by TBoneHalfNote »

Tell me please what you know about the difference between these two Yamaha models:
- Both student level - right?
- Any difference in materials used?
Any thougts welcome.
TBoneHalfNote

Re: Yamaha YSL-354 vs Yamaha YSL-200AD

Post by TBoneHalfNote »

Quickly looking through the specs leaves me puzzled about why Yamaha are in disagreement with themselves on 200AD:

- Features: 'Inner slide
The chrome-plated yellow brass drawn inner slide is very durable and has a quick, sensitive response.'

- Specs:
'Inner Slide: Chrome-plated nickel silver'

So - is it a yellow brass inner slide as in the 'Features' or on the contrary a nickel silver one as in the 'Specs' ?

Here are the 2 links to the corresponding product pages:
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical ... oduct-tabs
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical ... oduct-tabs
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

They are the same horn.

Yamaha markets the 200 solely to its "Brick and Mortar" stores to give them something they don't have to go head to head against high volume online dealers with. (which I think is a pretty darn decent, and big picture wise, of them).

The 200 reputedly comes with a little nicer case. And if you get it new from a dealer, you will most likely get a year or two of free service work.

But as for the horn itself, whether it is called the 200 or 354, it is the exact same horn.
Last edited by PaulT on Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
BeardedPicc

Post by BeardedPicc »

I believe if you get the 200 from a brick & mortar it's also cheaper than the 354. At least that's how it is with their student level woodwinds.
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

As for the specs confusion, honestly, don't worry about it. The slides are the same and they are darn good. The horns are the same, and they are darn good.

I don't mean "don't worry about it" to be condescending (I have no grounds to condescend about anything). It just should be understood that copywriters aren't trombone builders or players, (sometimes they barely qualify as writers). So, don't get tied up in knots comparing one paragraph to another. The 354/200 is one horn with two names. And however the respective slides are made, (outer slide yellow brass/inner slide yellow brass with nickel silver plating), they are same slides and are made with the same materials as nearly all other slides .

If you found a decent deal on a nice 200, grab it. The 354/200 is a dandy horn that even top dog pros respect.
Last edited by PaulT on Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:37 am, edited 5 times in total.
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

Yamaha's Allegro line is also for full service stores only. No online sales by online sellers.
TBoneHalfNote

Post by TBoneHalfNote »

Thanks and I also found another explanation online suggesting that the 'Advantage' series to which 200AD belongs are not made for retail sales but rather for music store rentals. Therefore if it's offered for sale online in new condition it's from a questionable dealer.
It was also mentioned that - YES - they are essentially the same horn with just a different engraving and a better case for 200 AD.

What does that mean for a second hand 200AD when it's offered for sale in the light of its rental mission?
TBoneHalfNote

Post by TBoneHalfNote »

One more question for you my friends in the know:
- Sideslipping a little into the Jupiter World and comparing JSL-432 vs JSL-332 - is there any real advantage of the nickel silver outer slide on JSL-432 vs ordinary brass outer slide on JSL-332?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Advantage? No. Slight difference in sound? Yes. Will you notice? Probably not. If you like the appearance of the silver colored slide outer tubes you may want to pay the difference.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
TBoneHalfNote

Post by TBoneHalfNote »

Bruce - what about the corrosion resistance?
In the Trumpet World there is a strong belief that nickel-silver lead pipe has much less chance to go in Red Rot direction. What about the outers on trombone?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

If you are planning to keep this thing for a couple of decades, there could be a difference. But you can improve your chances a lot by simply making sure you empty the water out of the instrument before you put it away. I have 80 year old horns with brass outers and no red rot.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
TBoneHalfNote

Post by TBoneHalfNote »

BGuttman wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:58 pm ..But you can improve your chances a lot by simply making sure you empty the water out of the instrument before you put it away. ...
Tell more about this please?
Is releasing moisture with the water key enough to 'empty the water out of the instrument' or is there anything else that I need to do?
shider

Post by shider »

TBoneHalfNote wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:04 pm
BGuttman wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:58 pm ..But you can improve your chances a lot by simply making sure you empty the water out of the instrument before you put it away. ...
Tell more about this please?
Is releasing moisture with the water key enough to 'empty the water out of the instrument' or is there anything else that I need to do?
A straight trombone (compared to valved instruments) has the advantage, that there is no valve tubing in which moisture is kept after putting the horn away. It's basically one long tube which can and will dry out if left alone. Emptying the spit valve is enough i would say
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

In general, nickel silver outer slides stay straighter and tend to dent less than brass tubes. However if they do get dents they're harder to fix.

I've owned several 354's and never had any trouble except the slides took a long time to break in when they were new. They tended to be slow and need frequent cleaning for about a year.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."

Return to “Instruments”