Champion trombones

tenvolt

Champion trombones

Post by tenvolt »

Hi all, I've just started out on a pBone and am enjoying it and it seems to have flowed logically from my reading skills (or lack thereof) for bass. I have a friend who manages a local music shop so I asked him to keep an eye out for an affordable trombone for me, preferably something with some character.

He has come across a matte silver Champion trombone that he thinks is from the 1950s, 4-digit serial number in the 5000's. I can't find much information on these instruments online other than an occasional mention on this site and few shop sites, just wondering if anyone knows anything about the brand or the company history? Photo attached of the engraving. He says it's a bit smaller and lighter than a standard tenor as well which may be helpful to me as I've got a permanent left-shoulder issue.

Thanks for any info you may have!

Cheers,
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bonearzt

Re: Champion trombones

Post by Bonearzt »

Probably a stencil horn, can you post pics of the handslide grip area?

But if it plays well for you, it's a keeper!

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
tenvolt

Post by tenvolt »

Does this help? Interesting that it doesn't have a counterweight, seems unusual. Maybe it's missing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tenvolt

Post by tenvolt »

This site lists Champion as a stencil brand of Martin, FWIW
https://schooloftherock.com/html/stenci ... _list.html
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Note that your site is concerned with mostly saxophones and the stencil list is not quite correct for trombones. I wouldn't doubt that it might be Martin since the overall shape looks a lot like my Martin Imperial or an Indiana Band Instrument (also by Martin) I have that needs repairs.

For a starter horn it's probably fine. Will be fine for most casual playing. I like horns like this one for Dixieland playing where a relatively raw sound is beneficial.

I hope it's not too expensive.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
tenvolt

Post by tenvolt »

What would you consider "too expensive"? I haven't bought it yet. I see a few Jupiter and Conn models used in my area for around $300, and a King 1306 with a small patch repair for $225
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Depends on what the model is and what prices look like in your area.

Generally a stencil horn should be a lot less expensive than a "name brand" horn from the same manufacturer.

Student horns are a lot less expensive than intermediate and top of the line horns.

But remember that how it plays for you is the main factor. I just remember that Nilda Richards of Burning Brass played a Coprion bell Conn Director because it gave her the sound she was seeking.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

tenvolt wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:29 pm...a King 1306 with a small patch repair for $225
Depending on where the patch is and the overall condition of the horn, that could be a pretty good deal. The 13xx Tempos have kind of a cult following.
tenvolt

Post by tenvolt »

The patch on the 1306 is about 1" at the very end one of the outer slides, apparently doesn't affect playability, maybe I'll check it out.

I got my hands on the horn yesterday and even by my poor playing standards it doesn't feel very solid, it has no tuning slide, coutnerweight or slide lock so it must be a pretty low-end model. The bell almost feels like it's tin or something when you tap it. I'll hold out for something nicer, I don't want to get something just to have to upgrade again in a few months or a year.

Thanks for all your help everyone.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

tenvolt wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:04 am The patch on the 1306 is about 1" at the very end one of the outer slides, apparently doesn't affect playability, maybe I'll check it out.
I'd probably stay away from that. That's more than likely a red rot patch.

Return to “Instruments”