King 3B Question

Shawyan

King 3B Question

Post by Shawyan »

Hello. I am looking to buy a new trombone (I am from Toronto, Canada). I found a King 3B used on Kijiji ($1500CAD). This will be my first non-student level trombone (been a casual player in concert bands for 10+ year playing a student smaller bore Jupiter).

From two experienced players in my band, I was recommended a King 3B as a good utility horn. One has a mid-1960s King 3B Silversonic and the other has multiple horns (one being a King 2B).

The trombone does not have a model/serial number on the bell. The slide has a 4 digit number (9094). I have asked and there are no issues with it (seller has other trombones he prefers to play). From the photos, I can see the bell has 3B Concert King Musical Instruments USA written on it only. No visible dents.

I have a few questions I was hoping someone here can help with. Questions:
1) Any idea when this trombone is from?
2) Any recommendations for what to look for in purchasing a used trombone (unfortunately I cannot go and play it).

Thank you
BGuttman

Re: King 3B Question

Post by BGuttman »

The 3B is an excellent general purpose trombone.

The 4 digit number is not the serial. The serial is a 6 digit number and is probably on the bell section. Note that in the mid 1980s King hit 999999 and started again from 100000.

The engraving style can also help date the instrument. The fact that it doesn't include a model number (2103 or 1403) can help with dates. I now that around the time of the serial number rollover they put 2103 as part of the engraving. Newer instruments say 3B Legend. Concert was used from its introduction around 1955 to around 1980.

Things to look for:

Excessive wear in the chrome plating on the inner slide. Sometimes this can indicate that there is/was an alignment issue.

Dents in the slide or either crook.

Damage and misalignments in the tubing.

Slide alignment problems won't be visible in pictures; you really need to examine the instrument to find it.

Fortunately you have a world class instrument tech in Toronto named Ron Partch. If there is anything wrong with the horn he cn fix it.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I have a 3B-F for sale for $750 USD shipped in the US. https://trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php? ... 384#p76384. I would sell it to you for $700 USD plus shipping, you would be responsible for any import taxes. Where in Canada are you? I might be open to driving to Detroit or Buffalo areas when the weather gets better.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Specialk3700

Post by Specialk3700 »

1500 cad is about $1100 usd. That seems a bit much for a 3b unless it's in great shape.
Engineering student with a trombone problem.
Edwards B454
Shires Bravo
Yamaha 354
Shawyan

Post by Shawyan »

BGuttman - Thanks a bunch for the detailed response. Unsure why but the 3B does not have a model number on the bell section. The condition was great though - no dents, minimal lacquer wear and great slide action.

Kingfan - Thanks for the offer - no thank you though. When first looking for a trombone, I chose not to deal with customs/duties and the conversion from USD to CAD.

Specialk3700 - It is in great shape.
BrassedOn

Post by BrassedOn »

Maybe look on the bell section below where you hold near around the slide receiver. Can’t remember on King but also look at where the lower brace meets the neck pipe.

4 digit on the slide is not weird. Late 1970s maybe.

I’ve seen newer (1990 and on) 2103 3Bs up to $1500 in great condition and some ask $1700, marked Legend? new are over $2000. For an older 3B Concert I’d have to play it. They get played...a lot. $750 seems typical for good horns so worth checking that out, used with trigger $600-$1500 depending on condition, but often it’s a beat up school owned horn, still straight horns seem to move at 400-$550 for some reason. I would pay up for silver sonic or just killer horn. Some like the 3B+ or PL, .525 bore. So how’s it play?

I’m biased, but 3b is a reliable workhorse. Jazz commercial. I have a deeper cup mouthpiece that makes mine sounds mellower, if I’m doing a show but don’t really need my Bach 42BO.
"Do less, better."
1971 King 3B Silver Sonic
1976 Fender Precision Bass
2016 Strunal double bass

Return to “Instruments”