Infinity Valve Help

hettbone

Infinity Valve Help

Post by hettbone »

I recently bought a Bach A471 with an infinity valve. Really open horn, great response, and fluid. I picked it out from three others of the same model which was a luxury to be able to do so.

Anyway, when I was trying it out, my only real complaint was how close the trigger was to the slide. It's very uncomfortable and makes the weight focus on my index finger. I was told you could adjust it though so that reassured me and after trying it a bit more and really liking how it played, I ended up buying it.

However, when I brought it home and tried seeing how I could adjust it, I couldn't figure it out. It actually doesn't seem adjustable. There are a couple spots you can unscrew the trigger/linkage but there are holes where they are supposed to go so it seems fixed unless I'm missing something.

I'm really liking the horn otherwise and I got a great deal on it so I'm not planning on returning it. Any ideas on my situation would be appreciated. Thanks!
Kbiggs

Re: Infinity Valve Help

Post by Kbiggs »

Have you contacted Bach (Conn-Selmer) or Instrument Innovations? The might have suggestions.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Maybe they meant it was adjustable with a tech and a torch...
castrubone

Post by castrubone »

I don't think any Bach trombone has an adjustable thumb trigger. Perhaps it was confused with Conn 88H varieties which all have them. As Neo Bri said, unless you take it to a tech that Infinity valve ain't going anywhere.
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

Neo Bri wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:06 am Maybe they meant it was adjustable with a tech and a torch...
+1 :good:
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
hettbone

Post by hettbone »

Gotcha, yeah I figured that it wasn’t really adjustable. Luckily, I have a good trombone tech. Maybe I’ll contact Bach in the meantime. Wonder if the guy was full of BS or he just didn’t know.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Sure looks adjustable to me. You mean to say that when you loosen that set screw that's on the lever, there's only one position in which the thumb paddle fits? Why would they bother to engineer that screw in there if it doesn't do anything?
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
hettbone

Post by hettbone »

Ok, so it does adjust. I had to tinker with it for a while to figure it out. My problem still persists though.

I discovered that the pieces can slide in and out after you unscrew them. The one closest to the valve seems to adjust the throw and the piece with the thumb rest adjusts where that is.

Problem is, it only goes closer to the slide. It was already as far away as it could be from it. I don’t understand the design at all. It’s too bad cause this horn plays real well but it’s super uncomfortable to hold.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

hettbone wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:36 pm Ok, so it does adjust. I had to tinker with it for a while to figure it out. My problem still persists though.

I discovered that the pieces can slide in and out after you unscrew them. The one closest to the valve seems to adjust the throw and the piece with the thumb rest adjusts where that is.

Problem is, it only goes closer to the slide. It was already as far away as it could be from it. I don’t understand the design at all. It’s too bad cause this horn plays real well but it’s super uncomfortable to hold.
Maybe a picture of you holding the horn will clear things up.

Do you have small hands? Maybe you need some sort of hand rest. I have had to get most of my horns adjusted by techs to fit my hands.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

hettbone wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:36 pm Problem is, it only goes closer to the slide. It was already as far away as it could be from it. I don’t understand the design at all. It’s too bad cause this horn plays real well but it’s super uncomfortable to hold.
Are you saying you want a shorter radius between the hinge and the thumb lever? Looking at the picture, I would think one could simply cut off some of the sleeve to allow it to slide further in towards the hinge.
hettbone

Post by hettbone »

Here are some pictures of me holding the trombone as requested. You can see that the bar is resting on my hand. I can hold the trombone differently to make a little more room but then it’s hard to hold and shifts the weight on my index finger. Thanks for the replies so far.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hettbone

Post by hettbone »

Picture 2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

The point where the linkage attaches to the main bell brace is also adjustable. You can see in the stock photo that it's adjusted all the way the other way, away from the slide. Just move it back and you should get a lot more room.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Why do you wrap your index finger around the brace like that? Index finger normally goes here:

Camera angle is weird, but are you maybe wrapping your fingers too far around the cork barrel? Your hand shouldn't be anywhere near the linkage rod; only your thumb should touch the thumb paddle. The slide nut should rest on the fleshy part at the base of your thumb. I'm still not clear on which way you want the lever to go. "Away from the slide" is sort of a vague description.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

It's hard to tell exactly what you are talking about. When you say "too close to the slide", do you mean too close along the axis of the main bell brace, or too close along the axis of the slide? If its the distance measured in the direction of the main bell brace, then you might be able to get a different spring wrapped such that it allows the trigger mechanism to move closer to the bell along the main bell brace by whatever that is, like 3/8" or so. If the problem is along the axis of the slide, then as mentioned already, the mechanism is adjustable, and you can move the whole lever and pivot back toward the tuning slide.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Are you able to adjust the angle of the spatula/thumb plate? It’s hard to tell from the picture, but the rod that attaches to the spatula looks round. If so, are you able to rotate the spatula on the rod so that it points toward the right (the first yard of the slide), and away from the valve assembly and second yard of the slide on the left?
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
hettbone

Post by hettbone »

brassmedic wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:11 am Why do you wrap your index finger around the brace like that? Index finger normally goes here
Well, I’m holding the trombone like that because I have to. That’s kind of the point of this thread. What I mean by too close to the slide is it’s too close on both axis to where my hand rests on the slide. The index finger wrapping around the brace makes a little more room for the thumbrest to move. I normally hold the horn like your picture for the record.
Kbiggs wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:24 am Are you able to adjust the angle of the spatula/thumb plate?
The answer is “yes” and I had rotated it farther away. I could move it a little farther but that doesn’t really fix the problem and it is also awkward to be at such an angle.
Last edited by hettbone on Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
hettbone

Post by hettbone »

Here's some pics of me holding the horn normal. You can see that while doing this, there is no room for the valve linkage to move.
Last edited by hettbone on Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
hettbone

Post by hettbone »

Pic 2
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Adjust this.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
hettbone

Post by hettbone »

YES!! That's it! I had no idea you could adjust that part! Thank you very much, Burgerbob! I adjusted that part just now and it feels much better.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Wow, cool. So the whole hinge can move up and down. Pretty clever engineering, actually.

Return to “Instruments”