Stocking design

BflatBass

Stocking design

Post by BflatBass »

I'm on ebay looking at a Conn 88H for sale and when I look at the pics of the inner slide I can't see the stocking. Could be me or reflection or any number of other factors when viewing pics online but if I use the "mouse over zoom" feature I still can't see a stocking.
Now I've seen horn specs that list inner slides having a "barrel shaped stocking". So I'm thinking that not all stockings are made the same. The only stocking design I've ever seen has a definite ridge at the end of the stocking. Since the stocking is just an area that is larger in diameter than the rest of the inner tube I suppose the transition between the two diameters could be gradual.
Does anyone have any knowledge of different stocking designs?

Here's a link to the Conn I was viewing on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CONN-88HO-PROF ... rk:38:pf:0

Cheers,
Robert
I dream of the day that the world will be healthy enough that I can play in a live ensemble again.
JohnL

Re: Stocking design

Post by JohnL »

I see the faintest hint of a step in pic 9. The pictures aren't super clear, and it's not a sharp step.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

As JohnL noted, the diameter increase on a Conn 88H stocking is rather gradual (not sharp), but definitely present.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Years ago I had to get a new inner slide on my King 4B due to a botched overhaul. The new inner doesn't have near as visible a break from the stocking to the rest of the slide as the original.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King

Return to “Instruments”