Edwards t396a change bell?

solidshi8

Edwards t396a change bell?

Post by solidshi8 »

I am think about send my t396a to a local repair shop to let them modify it so that it can change other Edwards bell. Anyone has done this before? How is it? :hi:
Kbiggs

Re: Edwards t396a change bell?

Post by Kbiggs »

I don’t have a 396A and I’ve never heard of anyone modifying one to change bells. I thought that one purpose of the Harmonic Pillar was to use the metal bars and their placement to change the feel and response of the horn, and thereby eliminate the need for changing bells, leadpipes, and other components...?
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

Why not sell it and get an edwards that you can set up similarly?
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

It would be similar to any Edwards with detachable bells, the only difference is the addition of the pillar.

Doing this would be cheaper than buying a new horn and taking the chance that it plays at least as well as what you have now.
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Never heard of anyone doing this? Like this one? With a interchangeable leadpipe, to boot?

solidshi8

Post by solidshi8 »

Actually,I got my t396a since 2011,and since this summer the sound became unfocused than before…I brought it to a local famous repair shop and they said nothing wrong with the horn just because it is too old....
So I am thinking about changing a bell,may solve the problem?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

May be a problem with the Rotax valve. I don't see how a bell would change in 5 years.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

solidshi8 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:06 pm Actually,I got my t396a since 2011,and since this summer the sound became unfocused than before…I brought it to a local famous repair shop and they said nothing wrong with the horn just because it is too old....
Misaligned valve, bent water key/damaged cork, loose solder joint, mouthpiece not seating correctly, tension somewhere on the horn, you growing out of your mouthpiece, damaged shank, etc.
LOTS of issues that will affect how a horn plays!

Changing the bell will probably not solve the focus issue, you need to figure out what's wrong with you/ your playing/ your horn BEFORE you think about throwing money at the bell!!

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
solidshi8

Post by solidshi8 »

By the way, any recommendation about the repair shop in Pittsburgh and Seattle? I’ll travel to these places soon and stay for some time, think about bring my horn there.....
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

In Issaquah, WA you have Benn Hansson (he's a member here as "octavposaune"). Also in Seattle there's Dan Oberloh. Dan may have a throughput problem, though. In the past his shop was so full that turnaround times were rather long.

There are probably some good shops in the Pittsburgh area (which includes eastern Ohio and northern West Virginia).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
GBP

Post by GBP »

BGuttman wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:58 pm In Issaquah, WA you have Benn Hansson (he's a member here as "octavposaune"). Also in Seattle there's Dan Oberloh. Dan may have a throughput problem, though. In the past his shop was so full that turnaround times were rather long.

There are probably some good shops in the Pittsburgh area (which includes eastern Ohio and northern West Virginia).
Benn is no longer in Issaquah. He has his own repair shop in the Woodinville area. He doesn’t get on here much. You will need to contact him through email or Facebook.
GBP

Post by GBP »

Bonearzt wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:42 pm
solidshi8 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:06 pm Actually,I got my t396a since 2011,and since this summer the sound became unfocused than before…I brought it to a local famous repair shop and they said nothing wrong with the horn just because it is too old....
Misaligned valve, bent water key/damaged cork, loose solder joint, mouthpiece not seating correctly, tension somewhere on the horn, you growing out of your mouthpiece, damaged shank, etc.
LOTS of issues that will affect how a horn plays!

Changing the bell will probably not solve the focus issue, you need to figure out what's wrong with you/ your playing/ your horn BEFORE you think about throwing money at the bell!!

Eric
I agree ☝️

That is a bad rabbit hole. If it not an equipment issue, what happens is you butcher you horn, making impossible to actually correct the playing problem and also making it impossible to sell the horn for a decent price.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:50 pm Never heard of anyone doing this? Like this one? With a interchangeable leadpipe, to boot?
Well, it is Joseph Alessi, and it’s his horn, after all... did anyone call the Edwards police? :wink:

Seriously, though, a sudden change in the response of the instrument could indicate something mechnical in the horn that needs to be adjusted, like Eric suggested—misalinged rotor, leaky spit valve, perhaps even a leaky tuning slide. If you want to replace the bell or make it interchangeable, go ahead. I’d look at other things before going the expensive route.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I thought it was pretty good. They to great lengths to make sure that leadpipe is soldered in, even though it is threaded.

I'm sure they were still prototyping, but it might actually cost less to produce that horn as a modular one.
solidshi8

Post by solidshi8 »

Thanks! I just sent emails to Oberloah and Benn…
I am sure that it is a problem caused by instrument,because since this summer I borrowed a courtois from my friend and everything is perfect till now…
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

What did they mean it was too old? People are seeking out bells from horns made in the 1930s and paying top dolar for them (NY Bachs). I have a feeling there is a game of telephone being played
davetrombizzle

Post by davetrombizzle »

Dear OP,

A few years ago, my Rath was taking a lot of effort to play, and wasn’t as satisfying as it had been when I first set it up. I took it to a repair person, who cleaned it, and re-aligned the Hagmann valve. It played dramatically better, like a new horn. Don’t overlook the small stuff before you go big.
David N. Vance, DMA

Return to “Instruments”