How long pBone?

Gary

How long pBone?

Post by Gary »

I've been a professional musician for decades and picked up a pBone to help me play after several strokes. I know not to be impatient with progress, but I've been wondering about (and I know this is a crap shoot) about how long this will serve me before I start looking for a more conventional trombone? Thanks.
Neo Bri

Re: How long pBone?

Post by Neo Bri »

My guess is not very long. Especially considering you can buy a good used horn for $100 (used Yamaha 354).
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

They aren't very sturdy...

especially the brass stockings
lauriet

Post by lauriet »

I had a pBone and a Tromba.
My guess is if you have been a professional musician, it would last about 5 minutes.
TBoneHalfNote

Post by TBoneHalfNote »

Neo Bri wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:54 pm My guess is not very long. Especially considering you can buy a good used horn for $100 (used Yamaha 354).
Guys - aren't you too lucky in the US? I'm jealous.

Regarding the PBone: since I'm now considering all possible options for my first trombone I was also thinking about it but after reading some stories from wise people I realized that's just a toy. Nothing more, nothing less.
Since I have not much money to spend for my only horn I can't afford wasting it for fun.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

The pBone has its uses, but as a cheap trombone it's not totally satisfactory. I have a few used Chinese and American instruments that cost the same or less than the pBone and they all are a better deal.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Gary

Post by Gary »

Thanks, folks. I bought this because it seemed to have adequate characteristics and I wanted to see whether or not Trombone would be a viable alternative to the trumpet. As I mentioned, I have had several stokes and the motor skills of moving a slide are easier that those required by three valves (Trumpet).

I will admit that holding the Trombone really feels awkward. Is this typical? Thanks.
BillO

Post by BillO »

Gary wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:45 pm I will admit that holding the Trombone really feels awkward. Is this typical? Thanks.
You'll get used to it.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Awkward? Maybe for somebody used to holding a trumpet. I've always played trombone and I don't find a normal tenor to be awkward at all. On the other hand, a trombone with an F-attachment feels awkward to me; at least how most are made. Some German style trombones have the same holding problem as an F-attachment trombone, but the pBone is not one of them.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I sat in front of a trumpet player at a big band gig last week who had a new Tromba plastic trumpet. He had shoulder problems and being lighter he could play without pain. He even soloed with it and sounded good.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Something I wish I'd known about the pBone when I first got one:

The slide can be surprisingly good, until the stockings corrode, which takes about five minutes. If you coat the stockings with automotive wax AND dry the slide after every session it can last much longer. ssking here has some awesome pBone slides.

Return to “Instruments”