YBL-822G Xeno Model Bass Trombone

Neo Bri

YBL-822G Xeno Model Bass Trombone

Post by Neo Bri »

Thoughts on these? Are they well-regarded and in high demand? I have a student with one but I haven't played on it yet (that I remember, anyway). They look cool, at least.
MTbassbone

Re: YBL-822G Xeno Model Bass Trombone

Post by MTbassbone »

I did try one awhile back. Well made, and very nice slide. Just wasn't my cup of tea. A bit heavy for my taste, but the weight is probably ok for most. Friend of mine plays it as a single valve in an orchestra, and it works for him.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I’ve played one for the last few years and while I like it, it’s a little heavy sounding and you’re perhaps locked into one sound, one I’d say is more ‘orchestral’ and broad in nature (which makes sense as it was developed by Doug Yeo).

I’ve recently been play testing a 620g and I much prefer the lighter, more malleable and punchy sound, and the valves felt more responsive too although I’ve never really disliked the 822 valves. I’ll probably buy the 620g as it fits my sound concept a little closer. The 620g has a lighter weight, unsoldered bell, and a nickel slide.

I’ve used the 822 to double with on professional shows and it does the job really well, ergonomics are good, and it works well as a single valve horn too. It also projects very well.

They do seem well regarded as being very consistent, so if you’re looking for a big, dark orchestral sound in a dependant setup they’d be a good bet.
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

I really like mine. It’s my primary horn. I play it about 90% as a double and the rest as a single. I use a Greenhoe bar on mine, so weight isn’t a problem. It’s sensative to mp changes, so I don’t agree with the perception that you’re locked into 1 sound ( wry different on a Yamaha 59 vs a Yeo). I bought mine sight-unseen from a tromboneforum member based on positive experiences I’ve had with Yamaha. It’s been everything I’ve wanted in a bass.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

A pretty good copy of a 50BG.Yeo had them build it pretty resistant to balance out his mouthpiece, so they feel more playable than the average horn with a large piece. Not great with smaller things.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Tooloud

Post by Tooloud »

There is not the slightest similarity to a 50 BG. Neither optics, nor feeling, nor sound, nor build quality.

Well, maybe you are already celebrating the new year... maybe...
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

Burgerbob wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:56 am A pretty good copy of a 50BG.Yeo had them build it pretty resistant to balance out his mouthpiece, so they feel more playable than the average horn with a large piece. Not great with smaller things.
I remember you saying something similar on TTF in a thread talking about Holton leadpipes. I wouldn’t call it a resistant horn at all; I’d call it focused. I remember the 622 leadpipe was very long to promote focus with a Schilke 60 sized piece. I’d assume the same is true of the 822, but I wouldn’t ever say the horn was resistant. It’s not an ultra wide-open dual-bore Brasslab dual-Thayer setup, but it’s as open as any single bore rotor bass I’ve played. The rotors themselves, maybe even a touch more open than most.

I wouldn’t go as far as calling it a Bach 50 clone either. It certainly used the 50B as a departure point, but it’s not a copy.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Tooloud wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:28 am There is not the slightest similarity to a 50 BG. Neither optics, nor feeling, nor sound, nor build quality.
It’s funny how different perceptions can be. I play tested one several years ago, and my immediate impression was, “Wow, this horn feels and sounds like my 50B2G back home!” Mind, I was playing an Edwards bass at the time, and the 50B2G was my back-up horn.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Resistant doesn't have to be a bad thing. It just means the horn is the resistance point, not the players chops.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
fwbassbone

Post by fwbassbone »

I played one as my main horn for a couple of years. It's a very well made horn and plays equally as well. As with any instrument if you like it play it and enjoy making music with it.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Interesting differences in perception. Thank you for the opinions so far.

Return to “Instruments”