Minick leadpipes

SwissTbone

Minick leadpipes

Post by SwissTbone »

I play on a set of minick leadpipes on my tenor and bass trombone. I dont know when those leadpipes have been made, but they begin to show their age.

Knowing that they are very rare and therefore hard to replace makes me a little nervous. Anyone is selling copies of minick leadpipes?

If not, is it possible to copy leadpipes at a reasonable cost and expecting similar playing characteristics?
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
ngrinder

Re: Minick leadpipes

Post by ngrinder »

Kanstul has copies of Minick pipes - I believe it’s what the majority of their inventory are based on.

However, having played both a copy and an original Minick pipe back to back, I wager you’d get something closer to the pipe you have by having a really competent tech make a copy of it.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Oh yes I played some Kanstul leadpipes on tenor. Didnt think they where very similar to my minicks.
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
Driswood

Post by Driswood »

Brad Close?
Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Schilke 47B
1989 Yamaha YSL-684G
Bach 6 3/4C
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Driswood wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:44 amBrad Close?
Thats the guy working with brassark.com right?
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

I make the leadpipes that are sold on Brassark.com. They are also available on my site: Brassmedic.com.

It would be expensive to make a one-off copy of a Minick pipe. Producing a new mandrel takes a considerable amount of work. I have thought about producing a Minick copy; I may do that in the future when I have time to make the mandrel. The difficulty is deciding which one to copy, as they were all individual and often customized for the customer by hand.

Brad Close
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

As Brad mentioned, a one off leadpipe is VERY expensive. It is also not a job for any average tech!

M
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

How about making leadpipes in 547 or 562 versions? Do You need to make completely New moulds for that?.. For instance if You would keep the same leadpipe if You want to downsize to a 547/562 slide for bass, or want to "go Friedman" and use a 562 slide on Tenor without changing leadpipe..

Trond
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

You know, every leadpipe I have seen has been beautifully centered. Spun? Yet the air doesn't care. It should be perhaps easier to make them as lopsided straws at low cost?
Leanit

Post by Leanit »

Interesting thought. I love my .500 Minick and would hate to lose it to corrosion or something in the future.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Agree.
Last edited by hyperbolica on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

baileyman wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:21 am You know, every leadpipe I have seen has been beautifully centered. Spun? Yet the air doesn't care. It should be perhaps easier to make them as lopsided straws at low cost?
You're not just blowing air, though. You're producing a standing sound wave, and that wave cares very much about the internal profile of the tube it is inhabiting. Case in point: The Jinbao alto trombone is a pretty good copy of the K&H Slokar alto, but the leadpipe that comes with it is haphazardly made and the instruments play rather poorly out of the box. But replace it with a K&H pipe or a good copy and the instrument plays pretty decently.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

brassmedic wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:23 pm ...
You're not just blowing air, though. You're producing a standing sound wave, and that wave cares very much about the internal profile of the tube it is inhabiting. ...
Yes, I am thinking about the wave in the air.

Never having made a pipe I would expect to take a sheet trimmed to the correct widths to make circumferences and then fold over and join. If the resulting pipe is round in cross section at all points, it seems like it would not matter if it were beautifully centered along the length and could be straight along one side, avoiding the cost of the centering step. I don't think the wave would care.

But I could be wrong. It does seem like a way to make pipes less expensively, doesn't it?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Actually, the wave does care. Acoustic waves are compression/rarefaction and not simple sines. The shape of the pipe in which they reside can alter the wave. Our models generally require an axial symmetry to be valid.

I would expect a non-symmetrical pipe to alter the mix of overtones. Similar to the problem of a deep dent in the tuning slide or handslide bow.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

BGuttman wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:15 pm Actually, the wave does care. Acoustic waves are compression/rarefaction and not simple sines. The shape of the pipe in which they reside can alter the wave. Our models generally require an axial symmetry to be valid.

I would expect a non-symmetrical pipe to alter the mix of overtones. Similar to the problem of a deep dent in the tuning slide or handslide bow.
Maybe you mean "Similar to having a straight vs curved tuning slide"? As a dent destroys the circular cross section that the proposed leadpipes would still have.

A test would be to take a conventional leadpipe and plastically deform it to be linear on one side and compare.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

baileyman wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:57 pm
brassmedic wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:23 pm ...
You're not just blowing air, though. You're producing a standing sound wave, and that wave cares very much about the internal profile of the tube it is inhabiting. ...
Yes, I am thinking about the wave in the air.

Never having made a pipe I would expect to take a sheet trimmed to the correct widths to make circumferences and then fold over and join. If the resulting pipe is round in cross section at all points, it seems like it would not matter if it were beautifully centered along the length and could be straight along one side, avoiding the cost of the centering step. I don't think the wave would care.

But I could be wrong. It does seem like a way to make pipes less expensively, doesn't it?
Not at all. As far as I know, I am the only one who makes seamed leadpipes, and it is much more difficult than making a drawn leadpipe. Simply "folding over and joining" does not produce a pipe that is round in cross section. It still must be refined over a mandrel. The precision needed to make the correct taper is not something that can be achieved with just the naked eye.

I do think I see what you're getting at though. Does it need to be perfectly straight? I'm not sure that it does. Customers get upset if it isn't straight though, so I make sure it is.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Wouldnt a non straight leadpipe interfere with the slide?

Return to “Instruments”