A few basses and tenor

MTbassbone

A few basses and tenor

Post by MTbassbone »

Any thoughts on the Getzen 1062 and Kanstul 1662. Looking for a very versitile bass. Prefer dependent valves but did like one Indy bass, the Yamaha 830.

Also any thoughts Getzen 4047DS? I really liked the 4147IB but the narrow slide is not comfortable for me. Also interested in the Yamaha 882OR. Looking for versitle tenor. Liked a Courtois 440 with a gold brass bell too.

Currently play Thayer valved Edwards tenor and bass. Looking for a bit more resistance.

Anyone want to share their experiences with these horns?
norbie2018

Re: A few basses and tenor

Post by norbie2018 »

I'm not familiar with Thayer valves, but could a change in leadpipe give you the resistance you seek? It would be a heck of a lot cheaper then a new horn.
sirisobhakya

Post by sirisobhakya »

I tried a 882OR yesterday. Slide and overall build quality is top notch, but I don’t quite like the sound. It is too dark and “hollow” for my liking, definitely darker than a 882 I have tried and also even darker than my bass (a 830 tried side-by-side). If you like a dark sound, maybe you will like it. But I would not call it “versatile”; at least not for jazz or commercial.
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
Bassmike

Post by Bassmike »

The Edwards 454-CRE valve set is fantastic. Should give you just a bit more resistance and will be cheaper than a new horn.
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

Leadpipe: I play on a T1 and B1 respectively.

CR-E valve section: I played a tenor valve set and it was decent. I tried a 1052 and the valves hit my neck in a weird way. This is why I am interested in a 1062.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I play a 1662i, so it's a little different from the 1662. Velvety sound, relatively light. I have a wide neck, and the valves do hit my neck a little, but not uncomfortably so. My 1662i is great in chamber music, but I don't like it in orchestra. Might just be me. It will be hugely different from the Edwards. The valves are nice, and the TIS works well. The leadpipes give a range of feel, and the GR mouthpiece it comes with is reasonably good. I like the Ferguson V and Bach 1.25 best with it. I use a GetAGrip with it, and the ergonomics are reasonable. It's a fairly light bass. Comes in a nice Protec.
castrubone

Post by castrubone »

Conn 62HI is very versatile, or the Yamaha equivalent. Both are very reasonably priced as basses go. For tenor you really can't go wrong with an 88HO or 88HCL. If you like to move a little more air, I also like Bach 42's with LT slides and some variety of rotor valve.

I've tried both of the Getzen's you mentioned...they didn't work for me...but they might work for you. I'm personally biased against anything that is supposed be a "better version" of a classic horn. Your mileage may vary! Seeing as you already play Edwards, I'd recommend just altering your setup to something more flexible. Ask the people at Edwards for suggestions and they should be able to figure out a way to make your horns more nimble. Good luck!
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

The 1062 is one of my least favorite instruments on sale currently. The 1662 can be pretty good, but I would definitely play before buying.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

The Kanstul 1662 is a very nice bass trombone. I have not played any of the other you listed. The Kanstul is easy to blow, has a good sound and blends well with small bore trombones in a big band. Some say it has a commercial sound. Maybe they mean it is rich in its sound and not overwhelming huge, not at all towards a tuba sound. It has Kanstuls own designed valves which are really good. Not to heavy for a double.

/Tom
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I found the Xeno horns I’ve tried - tenors and 830 (I owned one of these for a couple of years) and the Yeo bass (can’t think of the model number) a little dull and unresponsive although I’ve been told they take a lot of air and play well loud.

I liked the 1052 I owned. I think I could happily go back to that horn. I recall it being a little brighter and it worked well in a big band setting. The 1062 I played briefly - I didn’t care for it very much - felt awkward to hold and seemed loud and dark but unrefined.

I had an Edwards bass that had been configured by a tubist and felt like it: heavy, dark and took a lot of effort.

I currently play a Yam 620G, Yam’s base pro bass model that Yam seems desperate to undersell in its sales literature. Mine has a brass rather than a nickel slide, a feature requested by the low brass guy in Yam’s Canadian office a few years back. I think it’s an excellent horn but I wonder how much comes back to sound concept.

B Reichenbach once referred to Conn players vs Bach players. The former, think George Roberts (and Bill himself); the latter, Charles Vernon. My 620G kind of splits the difference with maybe an edge to the Bach side (but perhaps only by virtue of the double trigger). It’s a nice, light, agile horn.

But, I had a Corp Bach 50 for a while. I received
more compliments on my playing than any other horn I’ve played. Since I bought the 620G, no one asks me to play bass.
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

I had asked Edwards about a dependent CR-E valve set, but they said not right now. Anyone in the Washington, DC metro have a Kanstul 1662 they would let me try? I would come to you. I am going to make a trip up to Baltimore Brass soon, and mid January I likely will make a trip to Dillon Music to see what they have to offer.

Return to “Instruments”