Bach 16M Tuning Slide

javcis31

Bach 16M Tuning Slide

Post by javcis31 »

Hello!

I am currently playing a late 70's Bach LT16M and I love it, however I would love to know if there is anywhere I can purchase replacement tuning slides in Silver. The horn has a very warm, dark sound and was wondering if replacing my current tuning slide with a silver crook would result in something a bit more balanced.

Thanks a lot!
Bonearzt

Re: Bach 16M Tuning Slide

Post by Bonearzt »

Are you talking silver plate? Solid silver?

You'd be very fortunate to find one that would just slide in with no modification on your horn from that era.

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
javcis31

Post by javcis31 »

I would assume just silver plated, but that makes sense.
Leanit

Post by Leanit »

Have you swapped lead pipes yet? The original is famously weird.
CraigTbone

Post by CraigTbone »

javcis31,
Do you have a counter weight on the tuning slide? If not I would urge you to try playing your horn with one installed. I played my 1997ish 16M (dual bore, light weight slide, gold brass bell) for 30 some years (non-professional) without the counter weight. Then by chance I found an original weight in a store and bought it. I can afford it now, couldn't as a college student.

It changed the feel of that horn. Notes seemed to slot better. Not sure if the sound changed but it might be worth chasing one down and giving it a try.

Just a thought.
Driswood

Post by Driswood »

CraigTbone wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:42 pm javcis31,
Do you have a counter weight on the tuning slide? If not I would urge you to try playing your horn with one installed. I played my 1997ish 16M (dual bore, light weight slide, gold brass bell) for 30 some years (non-professional) without the counter weight. Then by chance I found an original weight in a store and bought it. I can afford it now, couldn't as a college student.

It changed the feel of that horn. Notes seemed to slot better. Not sure if the sound changed but it might be worth chasing one down and giving it a try.

Just a thought.
I added a counterweight to a 1986 16M after playing it for 15 years without one. I found the same thing as you. Slotting was really cleaned up without losing flexibility.
Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Schilke 47B
1989 Yamaha YSL-684G
Bach 6 3/4C
Driswood

Post by Driswood »

I know guys swap the 16M slide crook with a 3B slide crook. Has anyone ever swapped a 3B tuning slide with a 16M? Curious what you found.
Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Schilke 47B
1989 Yamaha YSL-684G
Bach 6 3/4C

Return to “Instruments”