Is it possible to make a bass trumpet in C plays in Bb?

sirisobhakya

Is it possible to make a bass trumpet in C plays in Bb?

Post by sirisobhakya »

At long last, I have decided to purchase a bass trumpet, to be more specific a Schiller 4-valve rotary bass trumpet in C. I know what to expect, that is, not too much. I just want it to be playable, that’s all.

The most challenging problem besides the quality of the horn is: I have little to no experience in transposing on sight. I am trying to learn it, but I think maybe it is better if I can just play it in Bb, and since the horn is not that expensive, I can deal with having it modified. (The Bb bass trumpet from Wessex and Schiller seems too small also.)

Now, I am not a horn builder in any sense, and this is almost purely for the sake of curiosity, so if the followings is wrong or impossible, or not cost-effective, please tell me right away.

I have seen many bass trumpets come with an additional set of tuning slides to make it in Bb, but since the C bass’s length is 8’ and the Bb is 9’, a 12.5% difference in length, the tubing for C should be (at least barely) enough for Bb, right? Maybe except that of the 2nd valve.

My preliminary plan is: cutting the 4th valve tubing to Bb and make it ascending, and using the same 1st-3rd valve tuning slides. Is this modification possible? An additional advantage would be trigger for 4th valve slide.

Also, if the cost is not a problem, what can one do to acheive this goal, apart from having all tuning slides in Bb ordered? I don’t think Schiller would go through hassle of ordering some factories in China to produce those slides.
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
Mikebmiller

Re: Is it possible to make a bass trumpet in C plays in Bb?

Post by Mikebmiller »

Tuba and trumpet players switch between C and B flat horns all the time. Just learn a new set of fingerings and you are good to go.
doctortrombone

Post by doctortrombone »

Schiller makes this horn in Bb.

https://reverb.com/item/7314371-schille ... w.ds&pla=1

I understand the desire for a Bb horn, at least for the kind of playing I do. I improvise and play by ear a lot, and the change in the fundamental pitch would make a horn unplayable for me.

Your plan for cutting the fourth valve and always playing in Bb would work, but you'd lose the functionality of a that valve, and you'd have to keep it depressed the entire time. You'd be much better off buying a three-valve horn in Bb, They're significantly less expensive.

If you have your eye on a particular four-valve Schiller at a good price, you could have a tuning slide extension fabricated. I can't tell from the picture whether that horn has a forward-facing main tuning slide with a short throw and lots of room, or a very wide rear-facing tuning slide. If it's forward-facing you probably wouldn't have a problem with fitting the extra tubing in. If it's rear-facing, you would have to add tubing to that stationary leg pointing forward, and that would involve soldering.

sirisobhakya

Post by sirisobhakya »

doctortrombone wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:35 am Schiller makes this horn in Bb.

https://reverb.com/item/7314371-schille ... w.ds&pla=1

Thank you very much! I looked only on Jim Laab’s website and they list only the C one.
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

If you need a Bb bass trumpet, Jin Bao, Wessex, and other Chinese makers have some decent 3-valve piston and rotary bass trumpets available.

To convert from a C to a Bb bass trumpet, you would really want an entire set of tuning slides: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th (where applicable), and main tuning slide. This is how Thein, Alexander, and other European makers address it.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

If cost isn't a problem, I'd probably just get a second Bb bass trumpet. The r&d that will go into modifying the 4th valve linkage, 3 valce slides, and the main slide is going to add up quickly. Probably surpassing the cost of the instrument.
sirisobhakya

Post by sirisobhakya »

Kbiggs wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:28 am If you need a Bb bass trumpet, Jin Bao, Wessex, and other Chinese makers have some decent 3-valve piston and rotary bass trumpets available.
This maybe just because of silly personal taste, but I like the larger bell, larger bore ones more. At first I thought about getting the Wessex small bore one, but then I found the larger bore, "wide" construction of Cerveny (592-3, 792-3), however I cannot convince myself enough to pay that much to buy it. After that I found the Schiller.

I have also listened to some videos playing (apparently) the bass trumpet similar in construction to the Wessex, and also ones similar to the Cerveny and Schiller, with a larger bell and wider construction, and the sound concept in my mind leans towards the latter. It maybe because of the sound quality of the videos, however.

I think as of now I would stick with the Bb Schiller that doctortrombone recommended. Hope it is still available at the time I received my bonus next month...
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand

Return to “Instruments”