Large bore tenor opinions

BflatBass

Large bore tenor opinions

Post by BflatBass »

I'm considering changing from my old King 3B to a larger tenor with an F valve so I'm looking for opinions on tenor trombones with a .547 bore (maybe .525) and an F attachment. If you have a favorite can you tell me what makes it better or worse than other similar horns that you've tried?
I haven't gone out to try anything yet but I just thought I'd see what people have to say so I can take that info with me as I give different horns a test run. Also I'm starting from scratch as my 3B is the only tenor I've owned since returning to the horn about a year ago.

Cheers,
Robert
I dream of the day that the world will be healthy enough that I can play in a live ensemble again.
harrisonreed

Re: Large bore tenor opinions

Post by harrisonreed »

Get a used Edwards T350. Try to get a normal unsoldered yellow bell (as opposed to heavy) and a single radius rose tuning slide. The round Tenor Standard crook slide with normal yellow or rose brass tubes and a set of leadpipes will finish it off. That horn will take you far, and you can always tweak it later.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

If you like your 3B and your Duo Gravis, how about a King 4B-F? Me, I have a 2B, 3B, 3B-F, and 4B-F. I haven't played a lot of .547 horns, just my King since 1973, so can't really describe what makes it better or worse than the other horns like Conn 88H, Bach 42B, Blessing B-88, and the .547 Benges.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

If you like your 3B, you probably would like a King 4B. It's similar, only bigger. Generally a lighter horn; not as ponderous as a Bach 42. The original rotor is open enough that you don't need a fancy valve to get good response from the trigger side.

I also have spent a lot of time on a Yamaha 682G. Somewhere between the Bach and the King. Again, rotor is pretty open so you don't need a fancy valve.

If you are on a budget, look at the Yamaha 448 and Wessex Tubas horns.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

Often you are limited by what is available in your local area. Try as many as you can and be willing to drive a bit in your search. Be prepared for a horn that will take a lot more air and use a large shank mouthpiece, that was my biggest take away when I went to a large bore. You may want to consider a .525 just to compare it to a .547 bore. Shires, Yamaha, and Antoine Courtois make some lower priced horns that are respectable. When you try the horns take notes--what you like, what you don't like, and your impressions. Try to record details of the horns like the type of wrap (open / closed) and crook design (squared / radius). Take time in your selection--the hunt is really the fun part.
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

I would definitely check out the .525 bore horns. They are a good compromise. There are also .525 bore slide options for some of the .547 bore horns (88H). Lots of good used horns out there.
Steve
Crazytrombonist505

Post by Crazytrombonist505 »

I have a Yamaha Xeno Ysl-882GO large bore tenor that I will be selling due to an upgrade. It’s a great player and is in great shape! PM me if you are interested.
BflatBass

Post by BflatBass »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:18 pm If you like your 3B, you probably would like a King 4B. It's similar, only bigger. Generally a lighter horn; not as ponderous as a Bach 42. The original rotor is open enough that you don't need a fancy valve to get good response from the trigger side.

I also have spent a lot of time on a Yamaha 682G. Somewhere between the Bach and the King. Again, rotor is pretty open so you don't need a fancy valve.

If you are on a budget, look at the Yamaha 448 and Wessex Tubas horns.
The King 4B is a possibility as are many other horns. I'm not necessarily partial to Kings. Any brand will do as long as I like the feel and how I sound on it. I don't like the way I sound on my 3B just because it's too small. I like the feel and "playability" and sound I get on my Duo Gravis partially because it's a bigger horn. If I was primarily a lead player I'd keep the 3B and work more on my upper range but I don't play those parts much and so a bigger horn will feel more comfy and I would prefer a fuller, "bigger" sound. And since I'm playing lower parts more I'd like to have the F valve for convenience.

The Yamaha web site (usa.yamaha.com) doesn't list the 682 so I'm guessing it's an older model. Thanks for the input on these horns tho. I'll keep these things in mind when looking and testing.
I dream of the day that the world will be healthy enough that I can play in a live ensemble again.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

A used Yamaha ysl-882 in either yellow or gold brass can be picked up used in good condition for around $1800, less if you shop around. Keep in mind it has a narrow Conn-style slide, in case that's an issue for you. That horn is a pro model instrument that'll last you the rest of your life.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

No better time to get a .547. Lots of choices, maybe too many.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Check the classifieds on Trombone Chat. I see a Benge 165F and a Conn 88H. Which of these or any horns out there is right for you depends on your budget and which ones you like. There are variations even in the same horn. I was lucky to buy a nice 3B-F off eBay for a great price without trying it, but a mid-70s 3B is pretty much a slam dunk.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Bloo

Post by Bloo »

I'm surprised I don't see this more often (probably because they're hard to find used), but check out an Eastman bone if you can. Very solid tone, intonation is top notch, and the slide is extremely smooth.
I'm partial to vintage Conn horns, and new Getzens.

Return to “Instruments”