alto trombone JP236 vs jinbao

jrobin9

alto trombone JP236 vs jinbao

Post by jrobin9 »

Is the JP Rath 236 ($900ish) worth the extra money vs a horn guys jinbao (with stauffer leadpipe) ($500ish)? Not looking for top of the line yet... but want a decent alto horn to get started with.
harrisonreed

Re: alto trombone JP236 vs jinbao

Post by harrisonreed »

Neither is really that good. I used to think the jinbao + leadpipe was the way to go... but no. If you're already a good tenor player, and serious about getting into alto, you can save yourself YEARS of frustration by just buying a good alto.
StephenK

Post by StephenK »

I know nothing of the jinbao so can't compare. However, the JP236 retails for £529 incl 20% tax in the UK, which is much less than the $900 you mentioned. I bought mine online from JP new for significantly (10%) less than that a year or so ago. So it could be that the price difference you have is that one is made more for US market and the other more for UK, but I don't actually know. I think Harrison's comment is very fair, it may be worth trying some if you can, not just the cheapies.
TromboneConcerto

Post by TromboneConcerto »

I absolutely agree with Harrison's comment. I had a Jinbao for 3 years and hated playing alto until I got my Yamaha 671. I bought it used, and it's been so much better, and a million worlds easier to play. At the same time I got my Yamaha, a friend of mine for a JP. He deeply regrets buying it new and wishes he got a used pro horn instead. It really just doesn't compare.
pedrombon

Post by pedrombon »

I haven't played the Jinbao, but since I got my JP/Rath 236 my Conn 36H is stored in my closet...
Sonas Artist
Granada Brass
Orquesta Ciudad de Almería
jrobin9

Post by jrobin9 »

Background. It's actually for my son and I don't even play but do know a bit from him and have done lots of research. Not sure he can swing a professional price tag. Maybe used but I've been having a hard time finding one. Ideally he wants a TIS version which essentially puts you in the upper price range. He is only 18 and is a decent tenor player for his age. He will be attending conservatory next fall. I have found a jp236 for $600 shipped to US. The jinbao is out of stock with no estimated in stock date.
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

Unpopular answer: 18, not attending a conservatory yet, is too young for an alto trombone. His playing will completely change in the next few years. If he needs to use an alto, they’ll have one for him to use. Any purchase you make now will likely be irrelevant to his playing in 2 years. Have you talked with his private instructor?
jrobin9

Post by jrobin9 »

His instructor says don't buy a pro model yet. Maybe a used Yamaha 671 at best. This would just be something to play with/start with (which is why I started with the Jinbao vs JP 671 discussion). He agrees prob very little real use in next couple years. He has been accepted and will be at NEC FWIW starting next fall.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Well, new advice -- no alto. Wait until Toby Oft tells him what to get.
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:44 am Well, new advice -- no alto. Wait until Toby Oft tells him what to get.
This, x5000.

You can buy 1 alto trombone and use it your entire life if you shop intelligently, or you can buy an “entry level” that will hold you back. Let Mr. Oft advise.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I’m thinking of selling my Yam 671. Email me if you’re interested.
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty »

I replaced my Courtois alto with the JP 236... I have had no complaints from anyone and have played it on Beethoven 9 & 6. It’s not an R11, but it’s pretty good for the doubling that I do.

But I would have to agree to wait and let his instructor help.
Dean McCarty
“Have a good time... all the time.” - Viv Savage, Spinal Tap :cool:

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Jürgen Voigt 189-FX, Elliott 100G8
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-711 Alto-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-470 Contra-Ferguson 2A
Jgittleson

Post by Jgittleson »

Just food for thought, this started out an a jinbao. Kept the slide as is, could probably benefit from internally polishing the outer, but its aligned and fine. I used the bell, and changed everything else.
jrobin9

Post by jrobin9 »

Thanks for the input. Been very helpful. I found a jp236 locally for $450. Going to try it out sometime this week but unless major issues exist, it will likely be what he gets. He completely understands getting help from conservatory instructors but said this will be a gap instrument for a year or 2 till he understands better what path he is headed down. He doesn’t think he will take much of a hit if any on the cost of this one. He has a plan with his current instructor and for the immediate future it’s only to get accustomed to playing alto. Fairly basic stuff.
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I would also say buy a better horn. Learning to play alto trombone is like learning to do calligraphy left handed. Wild intonation is the biggest learning curve. I bought a Conn 34H. Being able to flip to a Bb horn to find the note is a great teaching aid. I figured the resale of a Conn or similar horn would make the cost of owning the horn smaller when I go for the nicer horn.
............................waiting on Edwards.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile

Return to “Instruments”