Custom 42A value

LeTromboniste

Custom 42A value

Post by LeTromboniste »

I have a horn I'm considering selling because it deserves to be played and I haven't touched it in over a year, and the money could help fund a much more expensive and more urgently necessary instrument - I'm not posting this in the classifieds as I'm not sure if I will decide to sell it or not (it would break my heart to sell it really), and if I do, probably won't sell it here anyway as I'd like it to stay close to home. Since I'm not super up to date on resale value of used modern trombones these days, I'd like opinions on what this might be worth.

So I guess the initial question would be, how much can a used Bach LT42A sell for?

Then, how much do the following aspects increase or decrease the value ?

-ca. 1994 manufacture date
-The Hagmann valve and wrap are not stock, but aftermarket, from Hagmann, installed in 2011 by my tech in Montreal. The Hagmann-made wrap is slightly different than the standard Bach 42A wrap, and both tuning slide legs are extra-long, so it has an E pull, whereas a stock 42A typically doesn't, or just barely.
-Slide crook is a M/K drawing bronze crook equipped with a Saturn waterkey
-Slide is very good, every person who has ever tried this horn has complimented the slide for being very smooth and fast.
-Slide is cosmetically not super pretty. Kinda brushed finish but not really well done. Bell section unlacquered with a nice patina.
-Adjustable German silver thumb lever.

It's a good specimen Bach 42, with a bells that rings quite a lot. More open than average, not at all stuffy. A bit on the bright side for a Bach (as can be expected with the LT slide and the Hagmann valve).
Last edited by LeTromboniste on Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
SwissTbone

Re: Custom 42A value

Post by SwissTbone »

Sounds a lot like my bach 42A wich is customized by Hagmann. Best tenor I ever played, and recently confirmed by a principal trombone of a major european symphony orchestra.

Je played it but it wasnt for sale. He would have paid around 3000 usd. But realistically thats really high. I would think you can get around 2500 usd if you find the right buyer. But thats the hard part with those customized horns.

Would love to see some pics of your horn!
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

cozzagiorgi wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:05 pm Would love to see some pics of your horn!

The M/K bronze crook with Saturn water key

Finish on the outer slide isn't ugly and you don't really notice it unless you're very close, but it's definitely not great. Not that it changes anything in the way it plays of course.

Maximilien Brisson
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

A Bach 42/frankenbone with the lacquer stripped. ~$1200 USD.

IMHO of course.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Bach5G wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:48 pm A Bach 42/frankenbone with the lacquer stripped. ~$1200 USD.

IMHO of course.
You kidding? That's way under priced. $1200 is an average price for a stock beater 42B.

Quick sale would be around $2000. If you're willing to wait and find a buyer who will pay what it's worth you can get at least $2500-2800 for it. I would pay $2500 for that horn in a heartbeat if I was looking for a large tenor.

I always recommend to check out the Brassark and see what Noah's prices are on horns. His prices are usually a good indication on what the highest market value for a horn is.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Bach5G wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:48 pm A Bach 42/frankenbone with the lacquer stripped. ~$1200 USD.

IMHO of course.
Frankenbone? Not really, the slide and bell are an original match. A customized horn/horn with mods would be more accurate. Only the slide crook and the valve+wrap are not. Upgrading the valve and swapping slide crooks are probably among the most common mods people get done, along with having the leadpipe pulled or making their horn convertible.
Maximilien Brisson
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

By the way, 1200 is the price I paid for the horn (then a LT42BO with no mods) back in 2006...
Maximilien Brisson
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I suggest you sell it to Mr. Deacon.
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Thanks for the very useful posts.
Maximilien Brisson
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Bach5G wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:17 pm I suggest you sell it to Mr. Deacon.
Haha I'm thinking about it!! :pant:
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

I'll add too. For me at least the MK crook and aftermarket valve section with a true E pull add value for me. Maybe the true market value is $100-$300 less then what I posted but like I said both of those things are a big plus for me.
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

That wrap looks exactly like mine. If I was looking for a great bach I would snatch this up for something like 2500 usd.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!

Return to “Instruments”