Alto Trombone Pitch?

giantmrguy

Alto Trombone Pitch?

Post by giantmrguy »

Is there a reason that most recent alto trombones have been pitched in Eb rather than F? Looking into purchasing one but can't seem to find a definitive advantage/disadvantage to either.

Thanks
BGuttman

Re: Alto Trombone Pitch?

Post by BGuttman »

Alto Trombones have been mostly in Eb since Pretorius' day. Olds offered one in F, but they are no longer in business. Also, the F needed an "Alto Horn" mouthpiece if I recall correctly. Eb fits in the sequence of Eb/Bb/Eb/Bb (etc.) that most modern instruments use where as you go down you switch from one to the other.

We have had one person modify his Conn 36H to be in D (lengthened the tuning slide a bit; pulled the attachment slide to be in A). It has some unusual advantages: the positions are exactly as if the part was written in tenor clef (if that makes any sense to you).

Whether you have an instrument in Eb or F, you share about half the positions with a Bb tenor trombone (but a different half). You can get used to the Eb fingerings quite easily.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

The Olds F alto is quite "trumpety" compared to the Eb altos I've encountered. Not that one couldn't build an F alto with a larger bore (they've certainly been doing with Eb altos of late), but I don't think anyone has.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

One practical problem with F alto is that there's no low Bb. B is the bottom note in 7th.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Historically there have been much more altos in D and then Eb than E/F.

F altos (particularly valved) are more of a mid-late 19th century French/British thing that didn't catch on permanently, I think.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

some german makers build altos in F. Lätzsch, Helmut Voigt, Kromat. They have a normal tenor receiver.
Lätzsch with a C valve and Helmut Voigt with an Eb or C valve

http://www.lätzsch-shop.com/en/13-alto-trombones
https://helmut-voigt.com/alto-trombones/
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

Last week, i have bought a used Pretzschner alto trombone in F. Top condition, for 380 USD.
The bore is 12,6/13,6 mm. It has a very secure 7th position.
What a good deal.

Return to “Instruments”