Travel case for music, music stand, and trombone stand.

PaulT

Travel case for music, music stand, and trombone stand.

Post by PaulT »

I have a fold-down music stand that has its own case for travel. But the case is a little flimsy. I am interested in getting a nicer case, one that would be sized to hold a band folder, trombone stand, portable music stand, and mute, and i would like the bag to have a shoulder strap as well as handles.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions as to where I could find such a bag? (and does such a bag have a common name or description that would aid is such a search?)
norbie2018

Re: Travel case for music, music stand, and trombone stand.

Post by norbie2018 »

Altieri has a messenger bag that might fit the bill. They could also custom make one for you, but that's probably gonna be big bucks.
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

Thank you. You offered exactly the help I was looking for. The Altieri bag looks to be a wonderful bag. And googling the term "messenger bag" (I didn't know what to call what I was looking for) offered me a wide assortment of nice bags appropriately sized (and reasonably priced) for my music gear (my earlier searches on Amazon and elsewhere had been turning up briefcases and laptop cases.

(additionally, I have decided to help out my cause by ordering a much smaller, but still very nice, fold-up music stand (my previous one was 26" long even when collapsed and had a full-sized, non-folding, music platform/bookplate/whatever it's called.)

Thanks for the help.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

That part is called the desk. No worries - glad to help.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

If you are so inclined, it is relatively straightforward to figure out a bag size and shape that would contain your stuff and then make it. But you do need a rather extreme inclination of that type.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I have a Manhasset Voyager stand. When I first bought it, I got the bag. The bag would also hold a trombone stand (Hamilton) and a music folder. Unfortunately it wasn't very sturdy and fell apart after about a year.

I recently got a new Voyager bag and it's much sturdier. I don't carry the trombone stand and music in it any more (although I do keep a pair of 9 x 12 inch pieces of heavy plexiglas (metric size: 225 x 300 x 6 mm). The Voyager bag might fit your bill (especially if you use a Manhasset Voyager stand).

You might also want to look at Artist Bags or Portfolio Bags. I got one that nearly worked for my Manhasset setup and had oodles of outside pockets for miscellaneous gear.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

I use World Tour generic square percussion equipment bags for this purpose: https://www.americanmusical.com/World-T ... t-Gig-Bags. These are relatively inexpensive, not floppy, somewhat padded, and extremely durable.

I've got two of these: one for my tuba junk and one for my trombone stuff. Each of them has a large external pocket that's handy for various things (typically my stand light, extra batteries, sunglasses, clips for windy conditions, etc.). Otherwise, its just a good-sized bag without compartments. For the trombone, I generally have in it: my trombone stand, a seat cushion, music (1 or 2 3-ring binders), a H&B sturdy straight mute, towel (for water valve drainage), and a small nylon toiletries bag with things like glasses & cleaning cloth, tuner, spray , bottle, etc. I don't cart a music stand around in it, but could probably add a folding one of various types if I had to. These come in different sizes, have carry handles, and shoulder straps.

World Tour has a whole bunch of bags for percussion and electronic equipment, with different dimensions and pocket arrangements and such. The major challenge is getting one in which your stand will fit, since the stand tends to be what defines the requirement for the longest dimension. And if you want to put a music stand in it with a non-folding table, then it will likely define the requirements for both width and height of the bag.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Go to Lowes or Home Depot, they have a variety of small black 'tool bags' that work. Some even come with wheels. I have a 24" long fabric bag with shoulder strap and a ~19x16x12" with wheels. Both carry everything under the sun and were relatively affordable.

Cheers,
Andy
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

Several good ideas. Thanks.

I was perhaps a little hasty and, against my billfold's best advice, I called the folks at Altieri the very next day and they said they had a bag with my name on it (against all odds, my nickname is "Altieri") ... ((no, it isn't ;) ))
Anyway, I ordered the bag and it arrived today.

I have some remorse about the price, but none about the bag. The bag is exactly what I had hoped for and more. The inside is so soft and cushy, I hope my cat doesn't discover it.

https://altieribags.com/collections/mis ... er-bag-46m
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

I found this "electrician's tool bag" on Amazon, and a trombone stand can be squeezed in at an angle. My K&M music stand fits, and must of my mutes fit as well. My folder can go into either pocket or the center part of the bag. Not a lot of padding, but the bag is very durable. Best of all its pretty affordable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0789 ... UTF8&psc=1

I liked the look of the Altieri bag, but it was more than I wanted to spend. Prior to this I used a medium sized reusable grocery bag.
Nhtrombone

Post by Nhtrombone »

Search the TTF Archives for "Mute bag of Doom". Basically a wide-mouth, long-body tool bag with straps on the sides to attached a trombone stand and plenty of room for other stuff.

I am currently using duffel bags from Wal-Mart - the 24" size. Holds my trombone stand, mutes, desca:presto music stand, stand light, extension cord, big band folder (400ish charts), microphone (if needed) and various other things. Bag cost approximately $15US.
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

This is the infamous "Mute bag of Doom" (I believe). It no longer has the external loop for a trombone stand (for level originally) but my trombone stand will fit inside along with mutes. If your music book is not too large it may fit also.

"Bucket Boss Gatemouth 24 Longboy Tool Bag"

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/8 ... gIOMfD_BwE
Steve

Return to “Instruments”