Butler Custom Slide for .547?

quiethorn

Butler Custom Slide for .547?

Post by quiethorn »

I was over at the Butler Trombone page the other day and noticed they do custom carbon fiber outer slides (which I knew about) for larger horns (which I didn't know about). The outer slide on my old Getzen 3047 is showing signs of possible dezincification, and it's just old anyway, so I'll probably need to replace it eventually. The inner tubes are still good, so Butler's super lightweight carbon fiber replacement for $800 is an option. Has anyone ever used a Butler slide on a larger horn like this? My intuition says that it would be awesome to have such a lightweight slide an a big horn, but my intuition is sometimes wrong :frown:
Burgerbob

Re: Butler Custom Slide for .547?

Post by Burgerbob »

Give him a shout!

The balance will be pretty radically different. With a horn like that, it probably wouldn't be terrible.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Jgittleson

Post by Jgittleson »

I had someone bring me in a bass .562 one. His inner slide had to be aligned for it to fit. They're really interesting i must say. Feels like nothing in the hand but made no difference to the sound. Oh, and really well made. Was aligned within .001" top to bottom.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

If I had the bread, I'd do it. Worst case scenario, it's compatible with several other models so you could probably sell it without too much of a hassle.
quiethorn

Post by quiethorn »

Burgerbob wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:28 pm Give him a shout!

The balance will be pretty radically different. With a horn like that, it probably wouldn't be terrible.
Oh I hadn't thought about that. I wonder how weird it would be to have a rear-heavy horn. Interesting.
RJMason

Post by RJMason »

It feels a little weird at first playing the carbon fiber slide with a trigger horn especially if the original slide is pretty heavy. But if it the bell well balanced and designed as most brands are you will get used to it and the ease and speed will be worth it.
quiethorn

Post by quiethorn »

Okay guys, thanks for the input. I'll put it on my list of stuff to budget for in the next few years.
Jgittleson

Post by Jgittleson »

quiethorn wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:06 pm
Burgerbob wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:28 pm Give him a shout!

Oh I hadn't thought about that. I wonder how weird it would be to have a rear-heavy horn. Interesting.
Having played one, if anything it's more comfortable.
ShermanKNTO

Post by ShermanKNTO »

I have a Butler CF slide for my Doug Yeo 822G Bass Trombone (.563" as Yamaha measures it). Very light, so quick! Another benefit is that you do not need a water bottle anymore, the slide works dry or with the (recommended) Yamaha slide oil. For a month I used it dry, no slide oil whatsoever! Butler Trombones have 2 complete small bore Trombones (bell and slide sections) ready to go on the site. Drop them an email and they can help you out.
Driswood

Post by Driswood »

I know Sam Woodhead has one for his .547 Shires. He had posted insights on Facebook. Maybe contact him?
Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Schilke 47B
1989 Yamaha YSL-684G
Bach 6 3/4C

Return to “Instruments”