Abilene Conn 88H Value

JLivi

Abilene Conn 88H Value

Post by JLivi »

I know that the Elkhart horns are more coveted and valued higher, but what is a reasonable range for an Abilene Conn 88H? I keep seeing these on eBay and can't figure out if it's worth it to buy a newer horn 88 or not.

Also, what would a good range value for an Elkie be?

Thanks!
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
Neo Bri

Re: Abilene Conn 88H Value

Post by Neo Bri »

I'm not sure, but I've played Abilene horns that were good. It's just a way people sometimes value horns.
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

Neo Bri wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:31 am I'm not sure, but I've played Abilene horns that were good. It's just a way people sometimes value horns.
The Abilene horns I've played all play well too! Very open and resonant. Maybe not perfect, but still very good. I love the Conn 88's!!!

I just didn't know if i was crazy because I'm not a classical player. I play a 3b and mainly play commercial music (funk/pop/hip hop).
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I’m a former Elkie (1963 model) owner.

My opinion:
Abilene - $750
Elkhart-$1500

More if in superb condition.
Jimkinkella

Post by Jimkinkella »

The Abilene era tended to be very inconsistent from horn to horn. Some of them are fantastic, a lot are just ok, and a bunch I've played were just quirky.
An Abilene could be $500 for something unplayable to $2k for a really good one.
Elkharts are more consistent from horn to horn, and almost all I've seen were at least reasonable.
With the Elkharts I've played most were good, still only a couple of fantastic, and still with some terrible horns.
You can find a couple of amazing Eastlake horns out there, too. Usually had a bit of work done to them, but they're there.
An Elkhart 88 could be anywhere between $800 for bad but playable, to $3k for something killer from a major player.
The brassark has Byron Peebles old 88 for $1650, which should be a pretty good price for that horn, especially from Noah.
Unfortunately you can't simply judge quality on year of manufacture, every horn is different, but the Elkhart will tend to keep its value a little better based on the date. Others would really have to play well, but they're definitely out there.
Disclaimer: I have 6 Conns plus extra parts, from the 20s to the 80s.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

My Elkhart 88h has formed my opinion of what a trombone should sound and play like. I got it when I was in jr high school. But... I've also got an Abilene 48h which is equally perfect. If my 48h were from Elkhart, it would sell for $1500 easily. But it's not, so I paid $600 for it. I tend to think the Abilene myth is largely overblown. I'm sure there's something to it, but still overblown.

Bottom line is that you stand a reasonable chance to get a great playing horn for far less money if it has Abilene engraved on the bell.
AndyBaker

Post by AndyBaker »

Hi all, reviving an old thread - I have a great playing Albilene 88h with Elkhart style engraving on the bell. I heard that these horns were built right around the move, with parts made at the Elkhart factory. It's in fabulous shape - a bit of a museum piece. What do you experts think it's worth.
Michael Rath Artist
Denis Wick Artist
www.andybakertrombone.com
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Did the Abilene 88H have the old remington taper leadpipe (brown/sharpe)
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

harrisonreed wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:05 pm Did the Abilene 88H have the old remington taper leadpipe (brown/sharpe)
I can't say for sure, but I would assume so since through the '90s the standard taper was Remington (at least it was on my '90s 88H).
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

AndyBaker wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:40 pm Hi all, reviving an old thread - I have a great playing Albilene 88h with Elkhart style engraving on the bell. I heard that these horns were built right around the move, with parts made at the Elkhart factory. It's in fabulous shape - a bit of a museum piece. What do you experts think it's worth.
Its value depends as much on how it plays as where it was manufactured. Some Abilenes are very fine, some Elkharts not so good (even though they may have been better when they were made - all at least 48 years ago). If yours is "great" it will be worth more, especially if it looks pristine. You just have to convince the buyer.

What's the serial number (letter and the first few digits)? If it's R21xxx it was probably made in Elkhart, even though the bell does not have an Elkhart engraving. If it's "GA" or after, it was definitely made in Abilene.
AndyBaker

Post by AndyBaker »

Serial starts with R124 - it does have Elkhart engraving.
The horn plays great - I've owned a couple of Elkies, and it's as good or better than either of them. I got it from someone who'd had it in a closet for decades.
Michael Rath Artist
Denis Wick Artist
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

According to Conn Loyalist that SN would put it in 1972, so one of the earliest Abilene Conns. Possibly assembled in Texas from leftover Elkhhart-made parts?
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

spencercarran wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:08 pm According to Conn Loyalist that SN would put it in 1972, so one of the earliest Abilene Conns. Possibly assembled in Texas from leftover Elkhhart-made parts?
Almost surely Elkhart parts. May have even been assembled in Elkhart with such a low "R" serial number. Similar to my own "R" 88H. Mine is a great trombone; I've enjoyed it for 48 years. I expect Andy's is also.

Congratulations, Andy. Enjoy your treasure. Play it. Maintain it. Love it.
AndyBaker

Post by AndyBaker »

Sadly it's not getting played as I play Rath trombones - That's really why I'm wondering what it's worth. It's a shame to have the horn lying around...
Michael Rath Artist
Denis Wick Artist
AndyBaker

Post by AndyBaker »

This horn is now for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested
Michael Rath Artist
Denis Wick Artist
CuriousKen

Post by CuriousKen »

That seems like a fair price for the horn. I have a 1982 Abilene 88H and it has been my main horn since high school. I put it up on the old Trombone Forum classifieds back in 2012 for $500 and I had people lining up for it. My take away was that I had seriously undervalued it at $500. As it turned out, the day after I listed it, I lost my big time paying corporate gig and the first guy in line was more than gracious enough to not be upset when I backed out of the deal. I sold my Elkhart 8H instead and kept the Abilene. The Abilene was 90-95% of the Elkhart, which is what fueled my decision--that and I was able to sell the 8H for more than what I paid for it. I wish I hadn't sold the Elkhart. It was a great, great horn. My Abilene is an ok horn.

Now, because of my sentimental attachment to my Abilene, I'm having it rebuilt with a new valve, valve wrap, slide inners and lead pipe. I don't have it yet, but I've got pics and comments from the fellow doing the work and the workmanship on the original valve tubing was pretty bad--one of the reasons I wanted to rebuild it. The parts were too short and barely connected to the ferules. All this put a lot of stress in the build and at one point when I was in college one of the solder joints in the valve section failed. So far the reports are that it plays much more like a modern Shires/M&W/Greenhoe. I'm looking forward to getting it back. It may not really makes sense to do this to an Abilene, but, I've had the horn longer than I've been married, so, I'm kinda attached to it.

I wasn't unhappy with how it played before, like I said, having an Elkhart to do side-by-sides for a couple of years, it was 90-95% of the Elkhart. I'm hoping with the new improvements it will be all an old Elkhart is and maybe even more.

Return to “Instruments”