Hercules In-Bell Trombone Stand

PaulT

Hercules In-Bell Trombone Stand

Post by PaulT »

Hi, I am seeking advice on In-Bell trombone stands in general and the Hercules model in particular (as that is what a local store sells).

It would be for light to medium weight trombones (.525 and smaller... the .525 is a Yamah 630). I am attracted by the convenience of an In-Bell stand, I am concerned about the "horn safety" of an In-Bell stand, both in use and during travel.

I expect this has been covered, but I could not find anything helpful using the search function.

Thanks,

Paul
Last edited by PaulT on Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BGuttman

Re: Hercules In-Bell Trombone Stand

Post by BGuttman »

The Hercules is the ONLY one you should consider. The K&M has some real problems.

I've seen a few cohorts use them. Just bear this in mind:

1. It's not the most stable stand (although it's the most stable in-bell stand). Someone determined to knock your horn over can do it.
2. Don't store it in wet locations. It's OK to carry it in the bell to and from the gig, but take it out of the bell if there is moisture in there. It will tend to rust.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
NordicTrombone

Post by NordicTrombone »

I've got one and use it frequently when I play away from home. It's quite solid, but not as stable as the larger stands that doesn't fit inside the bell.

One thing that's a problem with my current tenor, 88HCL, is that it won't fit in the bell. I guess the bell throat is too small. It did fit in the Xeno I once had.
Jnoxon

Post by Jnoxon »

I have been using the Hercules for many years now, since they came out. I have never had a problem with any tenor or bass trombone. The Williams 10 is a pretty heavy horn and it hold up very well.

I had one of the first batch, I think, and the release for the cone broke about a week after I had it so I emailed Hercules and they replace it for free! Pretty good customer service too!
J
Williams 4,6, 8, 9, and 10
.490, .500, .520, .520, .565 bore sizes.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I have the Hercules in-bell and another in-bell. I'm on vacation this week and brought my other stand only because it is much lighter and I've only brought a 500 bore.

The Hercules is well designed with 4 legs in the base. It is plenty stable. Mine came with a cloth cover. If yours doesn't have that, use a sock or a Crown Royal bag.

The stand isn't going to tip over unless someone knocks it over. Adjust it so the end of the slide barely touches the ground. Put it level on stable flooring. Common sense stuff.
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I have the Hercules. For an inbell stand it is very good. Service is good too. I had one break and the replaced it. I use the standard Hamilton too and they have great service. Any stand I use I keep my foot on a leg while the horn is on it. If I need to leave the horn on a stand I put it against a wall away from others. My stand at home is screwed to the floor so I guess I am protective. Please be careful with the stand in the bell. Don't leave it in real snug as it can make lines in the bell if things get bounced.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

Great stand. I don't keep mine in the bell but in the pouch of my Wolfpack case. I used to keep it in the bell but had corrosion issues with dampness that ultimately made me replace the stand with another. I trust it completely and have never had an issue with a potential fall.
Dave

2020ish? Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I have one. It rattles around in the trunk of my car and is my gig stand. I use it for all my horns, big to small. It's not amazingly sturdy, but it works. Note that I never keep it in a bell.

It also has a small and low footprint- not a trip-monster like my big K&M bass stand.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher

Return to “Instruments”