Conn 2h anyone?

Jmac

Conn 2h anyone?

Post by Jmac »

Has anyone played a Conn 2h? Any thoughts on it? A friend of mine is looking at one. She’s a trumpet player. I thought the small bore might be just what she needs. She plays in a street band so she can really use anything but I didn’t know if there was any reason to stay away from one. Tuning or pitch issues? Thanks.
imsevimse

Re: Conn 2h anyone?

Post by imsevimse »

I have not played a Conn 2h but from what I know it is a very old and small bore model.

I have lots of old Conn trombones. The oldest is an old Conn from 1902. That horn is so small you need a different mouthpiece with a smaller shank than what is considered small shank today.

I do not play my old horns much and I never play them in public. There is simply no place were they fit. I play them only to remind me about what those old horns feels like. In a 1910/20-ies style of band perhaps, but are there such bands?

If we step forward a couple of decades to the 1920-ies and consider a Conn 18h "Tait" model or a Conn 38h or a Conn 40h with tuning in the slide which was a common thing at the time, then the modern small shank mouthpieces we use today do fit but then it is the SOUND. The sound is nowhere near a modern small bore trombone

If you go further into the 1930/40-ies and consider a Conn 6h, Conn 30h, Conn 32h, Conn 4h or a Conn 44h "Vocabell" then you are in business. Those horns are fairly close to modern horns at least I know I can make them fit a big band of today. I often use those models in our Basie Band

To sum; My advice would be to avoid that Conn 2h.

/Tom
Last edited by imsevimse on Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:10 am, edited 16 times in total.
Jmac

Post by Jmac »

Thanks Tom.
TheSheriff

Post by TheSheriff »

Jmac wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:33 am Has anyone played a Conn 2h? Any thoughts on it? A friend of mine is looking at one. She’s a trumpet player. I thought the small bore might be just what she needs. She plays in a street band so she can really use anything but I didn’t know if there was any reason to stay away from one. Tuning or pitch issues? Thanks.
=======

I've played a 2H. Small, yes. But very nice and I'd think it perfect for a trumpet player playing in a street band.

=======
Lawler model 1
Lawler model 2
Lawler Model 3
Williams 6
Williams L
Kanstul 1606
Conn 71H
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

TheSheriff wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:09 pm
Jmac wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:33 am Has anyone played a Conn 2h? Any thoughts on it? A friend of mine is looking at one. She’s a trumpet player. I thought the small bore might be just what she needs. She plays in a street band so she can really use anything but I didn’t know if there was any reason to stay away from one. Tuning or pitch issues? Thanks.
=======

I've played a 2H. Small, yes. But very nice and I'd think it perfect for a trumpet player playing in a street band.

=======
As I said I have never played one. My answer is based on the experience I have from playing a lot of other old conn models :D

/Tom
Last edited by imsevimse on Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jmac

Post by Jmac »

TheSheriff wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:09 pm
=======

=======
Does it need a different mouthpiece?
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

I think it may need a different (shank) mouthpiece. It is 0.458 which is the same as my old Conn from 1902. It is close to the bore of a trumpet.

I made a search and found this link on internet
https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/Conn2H1924image.html
Hope someone knows for sure and can give you the details about the mouthpiece.

I think the tuning is okay on a 2h since it is from the 20-ies or later. My Conn horns from that same period tune close to A=440 with the tuning slide pushed all the way in. In Europe we often tune A=440 in windorchestras and big bands. We often tune a bit higher, A=441 or 442 in Symphony orchestras. In such orchestras my older trombones would be out of the question but not only because of tuning issues, they are simply outdated.

/Tom
Last edited by imsevimse on Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:24 am, edited 7 times in total.
sf105

Post by sf105 »

That said, if it's in decent condition, it seems a shame to put a historic instrument at risk in a street band. There are lots of second hand horns, and good modern chinese horns, that would do. Or, maybe a pbone?
Jmac

Post by Jmac »

sf105 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:27 pm That said, if it's in decent condition, it seems a shame to put a historic instrument at risk in a street band. There are lots of second hand horns, and good modern chinese horns, that would do. Or, maybe a pbone?
That’s up to her but I think life’s to short to have to play a p bone. I have one but the slide really sucks. I’m 52 though. I’d prefer to play something I enjoy playing. No offense intended to the lovers of the p bone.
Jmac

Post by Jmac »

I’ve got the coolest one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oslide

Post by Oslide »

I bought one several years ago. Don’t play it more than every other year, but that’s mostly due to the condition of the slide.
On TTF there were several comments about the 2H being unfit for serious use. I don’t think that’s justified. For me it plays and sounds not much different from a ‘normal’ .500. It has a full, round, not overly bright sound. It also doesn’t play much easier in the high register. For me it is in no way ‘trumpet-like’, neither in sound nor in ease of playing high. If it was, I’d use it more often.
If your friend is looking for a bright horn that cuts through I’d much rather try e.g. an Olds Studio.
Ceterum censeo to fetch All of TTF
TheSheriff

Post by TheSheriff »

Jmac wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:19 pm
TheSheriff wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:09 pm =======

=======
Does it need a different mouthpiece?
=====

No.

=====
Lawler model 1
Lawler model 2
Lawler Model 3
Williams 6
Williams L
Kanstul 1606
Conn 71H
JPresson

Post by JPresson »

Hello Jmac,

I have about 10 old Conns right now as well as a few other cool members from Buescher, Holton, and Martin. I play all of them. In my opinion you are correct about the small bore being a help to your friend trumpet player get started, but if she stays with it very long it won't take long to outgrow it. Also, the comments about the blending sound are correct but if she is the only trombone player it should not be an issue. My only real concern for using the 2H in a street band is that it does not have a bell lock. Bouncing around can shake a taper fit loose if you are not careful. If it was me and the price is good, I would try it just because they are fun to play. The worst thing that can happen is she doesn't like it and has to sell it to buy a 4H or some other cool .485 bore.

Good Luck and Keep Us Posted!

Jeff
Oslide

Post by Oslide »

Forgot to mention: According to its production date range the 2H most likely does NOT have a chrome plated inner slide, just a nickel silver one. That’s not something I’d recommend to someone who just wants to have fun playing.
Ceterum censeo to fetch All of TTF
TheConnsequence

Post by TheConnsequence »

They made them into the 30's. Find one with a good (modern chrome, post-1929) slide. Don't be afraid to use smaller mouthpieces (12c and smaller). The sound really lights up and honestly I love mine like no other.

Return to “Instruments”